SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkock

Just Learned Knitting!

pkock
19 years ago

I am so proud of myself - I just taught myself to knit. :-)

I've crocheted since I was a little girl...um, at least 20 years or so, and I think I'm fairly good at it. But I guess I had a mental block against knitting. I've tried several times to get it, but it never sank in.

I just finished my first knit project - a scarf of white yarn with pink eyelash mixed in every few rows. It's far from perfect, but it's even, and I only found one hole from a dropped stitch! I put fringe on the ends, and gave it to my 9 yo daughter.

I recently made a scarf of just the pink eyelash, but I crocheted it. (FYI it worked great crocheting it lengthwise instead of across - more forgiving.) My knit one used what was left after the matching hair scrunchies and headband.

I'd do more scarves, but we really don't wear them. What should I do for my next knit project? Something one step up from scarves? A poncho? An afghan seems so big for a beginner. I can crochet one in a month or so, but knitting would take me a year. :-) Also I'd like to experiment with different stitches. Advice? Thanks!

One more question. I have a crochet book that shows something like 40 different stitches. Since I know what I'm doing (haha) I can figure out my own simple patterns just using those guides. Can you do that with knitting too, or should the average person just plan on always using a pattern?

Thanks,

PK

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry
More Discussions