SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acraftylady

Anyone recognize this crochet pattern

acraftylady
14 years ago

My friend and I are looking for this and have no info and would like to buy the book if it's in one. Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Shells afghan

Comments (133)

• some1uno
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Does this picture of the same afghan help anyone with the stitches for the instructions????

• shaddy101
    13 years ago

Someone has to want this bad enuf to work out the pattern, and then can share with someone else?

• empress
    13 years ago

Just checking in to apologize for making no further progress on my attempts to recreate this pattern. I have put my participation in trying to recreate this pattern aside for the time being. Working too many hours and spending whatever other time I can helping a terminally ill family member, and leaving a couple other pressing projects wanting. I am crocheting now and then, working on a couple comfort afghans.

But I do check this thread often to be sure it stays near the top and, of course, I don't want to miss is if someone else comes up with pattern.

Keep up the good work, ladies.

• some1uno
    13 years ago

Trying to keep this post alive. Hope someone will have the pattern soon. I am willing to pay $$$. Email me if someone has this - some1uno at embarqmail dot com.

• dollydolots
    13 years ago

Hi There
    Has anyone found the pattern yet for the baby shawl?
    If you do find the pattern could you please share it with me?
    Thanks a bunch
    dolly

• empress
    13 years ago

Bump. I continue to look. I cannot believe only one person in the world ever has this pattern, and she won't sell it.....

• sharonb551
    13 years ago

Hi ladies -
    I have been watching this post for a while, and finally decided that I would try to figure out this pattern myself. I think I have come pretty close and I am willing to share. However, I have never written a pattern before and I am afraid that my notes will cause more confusion than necessary so I am looking for someone who may be willing to work with me via email to help me write this in a more legible way, and then once we get it so we think others can understand it, we can post it here. Also, I do not have a camera, so it would be nice if this helpful person was able to take pictures of the work in progress in case some clarification with pictures would be useful. Any takers? Email me if you're interested in helping me with this project.
    Thanks
    Sharon

• sharonb551
    13 years ago

Oops - I had assumed that clicking on my name would give you my email address but I see that is not the case. My email address is SharonB551@charter.net.
    Thanks

• some1uno
    13 years ago

Sharonb551 -
    I am so glad that someone is willing to attempt this pattern. I am not good at writing patterns and I don't have a digital camera. Please keep me posted as to your progress and of course, the instructions when you are finished. God bless you in your endeavor. Thanks a bunch!

• sharonb551
    13 years ago

I have a couple of people that have volunteered to help me with this (Thanks Mary and Valerie!0 and hopefully we can get this posted before too long.

• beverly5876
    13 years ago

I've been following the thread and keep hearing people posting to Trixie about how well and how beautifiul of a job she's doing with her version of the pattern but I still haven't seen anything.

I've been waiting patiently, but I'm about to design my own pattern. Is someone still working on this or do I need to get out my hook & yarn and start designing?

• justlinda
    13 years ago

beverly5876.....go for it. I anxiously await any patterns you design that are along the lines of the original. Wish I could design, but not my forté :(

• dorothy2010
    13 years ago

Ladies I purchase a skein of baby bee yarn at Hobby lobby Yesterday and it has a baby blanket pattern on the label and the edging on it looks very much like the one every body is looking for
    Dorothy

• milney_51031
    13 years ago

Hi Dorothy,
    Would it be possible for you to post a picture? Or, tell us the name of the pattern so I can make a trip to Hobby Lobby & look at a skein of yarn? Thanks. Janice

• dorothy2010
    13 years ago

Janice I do not know how to do a picture on this board but If you will e mail me I can send it to you
    dmaydottie6@aol.com or I could scan and put in my photobucket
    Dorothy

• justlinda
    13 years ago

Hi, if you post the address of the site where the pattern is, then we could go to the site and see the pattern/picture for ourselves.

I'm very interested in seeing the pattern if someone could share it here.

Thanks.

• some1uno
    13 years ago

Any useful information would be great!!!! I have slowed down searching for this pattern. I can read patterns but cannot design. Would love, love, love to have this pattern. Keep me in the loop!

• demarie
    13 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm new and have also been looking for this pattern. I think I found something: http://www.mypicot.com/crochet_patterns_opl2017.html

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but would love to know if anyone else has. Also need to figure out how to make it diagonal!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    13 years ago

Slanted fans/shells patterns abound, however this particular design (from what I can tell)has them all facing the right side of the work, so the rows between the fans (wrong side)are something else. I'm not good enough at design to figure this out w/o going nuts.

-Babka

• bobbiw2
    13 years ago

I have been looking through all of my old magazines and booklets (for months now) hoping to find this pattern, to no avail. I hope that someone will soon be able to locate the original pattern, and share the location information or determine the stitch pattern and share it as I would love to make this for my grandbaby before she is too old for it. I will keep looking and if I locate it, I will certainly let you all know.
    Maybe the (wrong side) is comprised of chains and slip stitches...I can't really see the detail of the picture because it is small and these old eyes only see in large!
    Bobbi

• empress
    13 years ago

I have just posted an inquiry for help finding this pattern on the Pattern Detectives forum on Ravelry. I hope one of those people can help us out. I will let you know if they come up with the pattern.

Lindsey_ca, I used your photo of the blanket in my ravelry post. I hope this is all right with you. If it is not, please let me know and I will remove the picture from my post immediately with sincere apologies.

• Lindsey_CA
    13 years ago

Empress, it's not my photo. The original poster, ACraftyLady, put a link to the photo in that first post, but it wasn't working for some folks. So, I simply pasted the photo into a post so that everyone would be able to see it.

So, it's not my place to give or withhold permission to use the photo.

• empress
    13 years ago

Hopefully acraftylady will see this, because I didn't find an e-mail address or link on her page and the original link has taken be to a webshots page that seems to be unavailable for the last couple days...

• some1uno
    13 years ago

I found this link on another crochet site looking for the same pattern as this thread here. This is as close to what we are looking for & the pattern is free. It is a shawl but could be converted to a blanket.

• empress
    13 years ago

some1uno,

Thank you for posting that. I was directed to that one last week when I posted an inquiry on a Ravelry forum. I tried to post the information here a couple times, but the times when I could actually log in, my post would just disappear. I am sure that pattern could be tweaked, but one difference I noticed after I looked at it closely to see what to tweak is, the fans are lined up in columns rather than alternating each row. But the fact that they are laying on their sides is a big step towards recreating that original blanket pattern.

Thanks again for posting this. I hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday season. Looking forward to a good 2011.

• knittingnorma
    13 years ago

Hi all,
    I know this is a older post.
    But did any one fine the baby crohet pattern?
    Norma jean,

• craftylady1956
    12 years ago

I recently created a very similar looking blanket pattern.

• milney_51031
    12 years ago

craftylady1956--Is it possible to buy the pattern from you?
    Thanks. Janice

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Ooooooooooooh. Would you post a photo?

-Babka

• empress
    12 years ago

I believe craftylady1956 is the same person as craftylady56 on ravelry. She just put a pattern up for sale that I think is this one. It is called "Bundle of Joy Baby Blanket" by Lorraine Hurd. Hopefully she'll by by soon to confirm this.

• craftylady1956
    12 years ago

Thank you yes--the pattern you speak of is Bundle of Joy Baby Blanket on Raverly.
    Disclaimer--It was brought to my attention that it resembles another popular blanket pattern. My pattern was created and made by me as a gift to a relative.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Both are beautiful patterns, and although both have slanted shells or fans, they line up very differently, if you look more closely. The quest goes on...

-Babka

• kafskorner
    12 years ago

I posted this want in the spring and here is what a friend in australia came up with

http://cats-rockin-crochet.blogspot.com/search/label/crochet%20shell%20st%20afghan

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

That is IT!!!!!!

Now for the edging...

-Babka

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Forgot to say THANK YOU! to kafskorner.

All the shells are right sided, and they line up above each other. The original one posted used variegated yarn instead of two colors, but I love it both ways!

Did I say THANK YOU?

-Babka

• justlinda
    12 years ago

MAR---VEL---OUS!

Will be putting this one on my "to do" list. Thanks muchly. Like Babka said.....THANK YOU.

• proudmary56
    12 years ago

What a Dynamite thread. I loved all the searching and excitment. And finally a pattern. Thanks to all who particapated. What a lovely pattern and my to do list, for sure.

• milney_51031
    12 years ago

Hi .. does anyone have any idea why I can't watch or view any of the video tutorials? In all the boxes it just states "404 not found nginx". Is it my computer settings? How can I fix it? Thanks! Thanks for everyone's hard work too in recreating the pattern. Janice

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Janice 51031-

Video tutorials where? Can you give an example? It is probably in your computer settings, but I need to know where you are looking. When I see a video tutorial I just click on it. If it shows up but doesn't run, I right click to see how it wants to open the file. Keep working on it...You are not the first one to get befuddled by all of this.

-Babka

• milney_51031
    12 years ago

This one: http://cats-rockin-crochet.blogspot.com/search/label/crochet shell st afghan. The one that kafskorner mentioned in the post dated September 18th. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I wanted to see how to decrease on the corner shell blanket. Thanks. Janice

• acraftylady
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Janice does the same thing happen if you view the video on youtube? Can you view other youtube videos ok? Mary!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3vjH1S0MkKQ#!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Janice, do you have Adobe Flash Player downloaded on your computer? Here's a link. (it is free)

-Babka

• milney_51031
    12 years ago

No, I can't watch you tube video's either. That never bothered me to much .. the decrease video is way more important! :-) I'm going to check for Adobe Flash. Thanks Ladies!!!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    12 years ago

Janice-

Come back and tell us if you still cannot see it. The really cool thing about watching crochet/knitting videos is that you can watch it over and over until you "get" it. You can also hit that Pause button and do what you just saw before resuming the video.

There is a "crocodile stitch" (google the videos for that if you wish) that IN NO WAY would I have figured out how to do it from written instructions. Enabling videos will open a whole new world... ;-)

-Babka

• milney_51031
    12 years ago

Well, I'm back & I can't get it to install. I'm at a loss to what is wrong. I went to the sight to download Adobe Flash Player. I downloaded the file & then double-clicked on it. Got the screen (black) Adobe Flash Player Installer. It just sat there for several minutes & then I got the message that "installation encountered errors". I've tried 3 times with the same results. I'm not sure if it could be my drivers??? We might have to make a phone call. Hubby even worked on it & he usually can fix everything. :-( Thanks!

• bobbiw2
    12 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you kafskorner for the link to this pattern. And thanks to all of the others who have been searching for this pattern. I have been following this thread since the beginning, and I have searched many places to no avail. I have also looked through many magazines and books. It has been great fun watching this thread grow as we all shared the same goal. Now, I am off to begin my afghan.
    Thank you again, and may you all have a blessed day!

• nanagramms3
    12 years ago

I would love to have this pattern or something similar. I have searched and can't find anything like it. If anyone knows where I can purchase the pattern, please let me know. My email is nanagramms3@yahoo.com. Thank you one and all for your help.

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

So has anyone made it yet using Cats Rockin's pattern?
    It is lovely. I think I like the variagated yard in the original the best.
    Kathy

• concretenprimroses
    12 years ago

A while ago I read this entire thread. Then I switched to looking at some antique patterns on line and I couldn't resist posting this leaf shawl which unfortunately is knitted but has the effect of staggered leaves on the diagonal. Its about 2/3 the way through the pdf of the old book.

http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/pub/PDF/BeehiveShawls.pdf

I just thought it was very pretty and also interesting because the quest of this thread has been to find a pattern for a motif (fans) staggered and made on the diagonal. I'm not much of a knitter, but I wonder if they are more common in knitting?

I would love to crocet leaves on the diagonal!

Kathy

• marshahass1
    6 years ago

I saw a shawl that was similar to this just recently.

Sponsored
More Discussions