SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Gift Ideas Needed for an Author . . . My Cousin

lynninnewmexico
9 years ago

DH & I will be flying up to Portland later this month for a 4-day weekend at a golf resort on the coast. My cousin and her husband are meeting us for lunch one day while we're there. I haven't seen her since we were kids together in Michigan, although we keep in touch through occasional emails and letters. My cousin is a very successful children's book author and college professor. I'm fairly certain that we'll be gifted with one of her latest books, as she has sent me copies of several of them in the past and knows how special they are to me. I would love to come up with a gift idea for her ~or her and her husband. I need your help as I'm coming up blank!

Please help me think of something for her/ them that is easily transportable on a plane. We will be checking two pieces of luggage, so it could possibly go in one of them. I have absolutely no idea what their home looks like, so a decorative something is out. Indian pots and the like are NOT for anyone who doesn't have that type of home. I don't know if either of them drink wine, so I'm not sure about bringing along a great bottle of New Mexico wine. I'm also not sure if it would safely make the journey there in a checked bag!

I've thought about buying them one of my favorite Christmas books (written for children and adults alike) by NM author, Rudolfo Anaya, and then hunting him down to sign it to them, but I'm not sure I could make that happen in time. If I could, what do you think of that gift? Another idea would be a small piece of our local Nambe, which is made of a special silver metal alloy that retains heat and cold wonderfully, but in something that doesn't look Southwestern. Perhaps a small serving bowl.

I would really love to hear any and all ideas you might have. BTW, my cousin is in her mid-60's, and is very warm, down-to-earth and totally not caught up by her literary success.
Lynn

Comments (21)