SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lawmar

What Are You Working on Now?

lawmar
18 years ago

Now that Christmas is over, what is everybody working on now? I finally decided to learn how to make socks on 2 circular needles. So far, so good - but I just got to the heel gusset last night and the directions were a bit confusing. I know I didn't do it like the book said, but I did get my stitches all on the needles. I am now in the decreasing for the foot and pretty soon will be home free with that. Thank goodness. Now, if I can just remember what I did when I come to that gusset when I start the mate for that one. As far as the rest of it, I like the 2 circular method, it seems a lot easier than the double pointeds.

Comments (24)

• bubbeskitchen
    18 years ago

Hi,
    Bubbe here, new to this forum.

Before starting knitting in April 2005, I was a regular at the Cooking Forum. Now, alas, I speed cook so I can knit. And don't get to post much.

Current projects:

A Neckdown Crewneck PO sweater for my 6'4" husband with long arms. I'm knitting in double Koigu KPPM. I have the body finished and am working on the sleeves. I have had to tink and reknit to adjust pattern. It's been like knitting two sweaters! Now I have to rework a sleeve--it is too wide and either I have to decrease closer together, or fudge the under arm where I pick up stitches. Maybe both. I'm leaving the first sleeve as is and starting the second so I can figure it out. Thank goodness I love the yarn....and the man.

A ponchita in recycled silk

Just finishing a keyhole scarf to go with 6-month old grandson's hat.

And there are those bags with started projects that may or may not ever be completed. I don't know about you, but if I'm not in love with it, it's hard to finish and besides, I'm a real yarn flirt; see a new one that I like and I'm in hot pursuit. Adventures of a yarn ho.

Lawmar, I haven't made socks yet, but they are on my list to try very soon.

Bubbe

• sheilajoyce_gw
    18 years ago

I am working on two layettes right now. For one, the mother to be is a friend of my 2 older kids from high school, and I am almost done. I crocheted an afghan and have knit a jacket and matching hat, a sweater (not quite done there. Just have to put it together, which I do dislike most.)and still need to make matching a hat and booties. The other I am knitting another jacket and still have to make two hats--my friend is crocheting the afghan.

I like to make apple hats for the boy babies and watermelon hats for the girls, so I have two watermelon hats to make for these two babies.

Also STILL am working on my thread crochet banquet cloth, and I made a mistake somewhere that I need to identify and rip out to that point. I have put it away for two months now. I fear I will rip out probably a good two feet of fudging trying to make it work. If this mistake had not happened, I would be done by now. Ah well, the earliest I would use it is the 2006 holiday season.

And I have bought enough silk ribbon and eyelash yarn to try making an evening bag in black and have no pattern for it. I need to buy a beautiful button for the closure. I have an old rope length, jet necklace that I wonder how I could turn into a pretty, short shoulder strap for the purse.

• Related Discussions

If I root plants now, what would I do with them if they 'work'?

Q

Comments (4)
    Your post hit home for me. For amateur propagators failure is a lot easier to accept than success. I end up with hundreds of plants out growing their pots, and demanding to be potted up to the next size. I donate to several plant sales a year to try and keep ahead, and yet when I walk through my garden I see lots of attractive shrubs I have never propagated I am overwhelmed with the desire to start cuttings. So what is the cure? Al
    ...See More

Kitchenaid work work for ovens, now what???

Q

Comments (0)
    After all my research, I was ready to buy the KA dbl oven. but, guess what...when you turn on convection a ton of air blows out into the room, I then turned on Dacor and that was not the case. I know many of you love the Monogram, but are there any other choices...GE scares me.
    ...See More

What are you working (OR NOT!) on now?

Q

Comments (45)
    It's been a long, painful journey and a wonderful adventure at the same time! I'm glad you're finding the adventure, commiserations about the pain, and big cheers for being willing to tackle that journey at all! You're not alone in this; you may just have more professional help with it (the rest of us just muddle along without the "coach" that your therapist can be for you). I just want to get one cabinet cleaned....JUST ONE!!! so that I can live with myself and not start each morning and end each evening berating myself for being lazy. boy, do I identify with this! And I can also tell you that once you do tackle one cabinet, you CAN find yourself not berating yourself anymore. So pick something easy (under the bathroom sink is usually a good one; it's actually pretty easy). Also--on the plastic bins and labelers--they're not important. What's important is whether you can FUNCTION. Can you find your extension cords when you want them? Is dinner on the table most nights in an OK fashion? Can everybody find clean clothes to wear each day? Can you almost always sit and relax in the living room (not that it's beautifully spick and span, but can you feel comfortable? my LR has toys everywhere, but most nights I can sit in there and not feel edgy)? Then you're organized! Sure, there's always something more you can do, but it's really easy to get fixated on the snazzy visuals and forget that the substance is what matters (sort of like my DD who spent a half day making background decorations for the board of her science project instead of focusing on what she was writing, etc.)
    ...See More

Red White and Blue Stripes, Checks etc.

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Grace that heading really got my attention. I haven't started working on it. Cause guess what? We are moving again. Yes I said that right, but guess why? WE ARE BUYING A HOUSE!!!!! OUR FIRST EVER!!!!! We just found out today that the mortgage guy got the payment where we wanted and now it has to go to the underwriter, they said there should be no problems there and we should close by August 15th at the latest. I am so excited. I have Hunter's quilt together and am going to quilt it this weekend, for his birthday on Tuesday. So that's what's going on. Hope to get to start my new quilt just as soon as we get moved. Thanks for asking. I will share just as soon as I have something to share. Amy
    ...See More
  • bessiedawg
    18 years ago

I am also fairly new to this forum, usually hang out in the kitchens,cooking, or pets forums. I just finished my doxie a sweater last week. This week it is back to kids sweaters. I have a couple more hours of work before the 3rd one for January will be finished. My goal for this year is to make three sweaters every month. I have been knitting or crocheting for over 40 years and have never gotten tired of it. Linda

• socks
    18 years ago

Bessiedawg, you've crocheted for 40 years! That's amazing.

Sheilajoyce, sorry to hear of your struggles with the banquet cloth. Tearing out is so hard, hours of work for
    nothing, but you'll be happier if it's right.

Donna_Loomis recommended the Wendy Peter Pan yarn from Smileys, so I ordered it and am working on a baby afghan for a co-worker. Seems like it's turning out pretty well. I've had a lot of time to work on it since I broke my leg and still have another month of crutches. Yuck! I'd like to start a pair of socks when I've finished with the afghan.

• mirren
    18 years ago

I only knit in the winter so this year I am trying to finish some projects. So far I finished a pair of mittens I started last winter. Then I made two more pair. Then I made two pairs of socks and am now finishing a pair I started last winter. I also have another pair on needles that I started last year and I hope to finish them too. Then I have two dishcloths and a hat I started to crochet last winter. I will finish them. Then I have the big project. I crocheted a soccer ball pillow for my niece last year. Now I have to sew it all together. I hate that job but I will complete it. I think it is 21 black and white diamond shapes that have to be pieced together and then stuffed. When that is done all my incomplete projects will be done.

• lawmar
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Golly, you are busy ladies! So many projects going at once. I can only have one thing going at a time. I'm afraid if I get more than one thing going, I won't finish what I have going. All the time I am working on a current project, I am thinking of what I should do next. It's a fun pastime that is for sure!

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

I'm working on a Christmas Tree skirt from a Southern Living Christmas book. It is kind of crazy but I hope to see it thru. I got a lot of that varigated sparkly Christmas yarn at 80% off after Christmas.

• pommona
    18 years ago

I'm working on a plain, yellow baby afghan for my cousin.

• TommeCA
    18 years ago

I'm working on my first cardigan. It's neck down, all one piece. I'm halfway done with the first sleeve, then will need to do the second sleeve, and the front banding.

I have a moebius wrap on needles, but am thinking about taking it off the needles and starting over (I undid my first moebius three times before I got it really right. I expect this must be my pattern for moebius work.)

I also have a decorative pillow case I've all but abandoned - it's a loop stitch and takes about 20 minutes to complete a single row. Because of the stitch, I have to keep my eyes on it the entire time, and it's kind of tedious. I just need to try to knit one row a night.

I need to get started on a little kimono for a newborn that is expected in March, but I don't have any yarn picked out yet.

I do have the yarn for a sweater I promised my sister, and since she's coming for a visit in a few weeks, I really need to get the body started so I can fit it to her. So, I'll probably start that this week and put my cardigan down for a while.

I also have the yarn and pattern picked out for a pair of felted slippers, but probably won't start on that project until later this spring. Because the slippers are so small, they are a good project to carry with me to Giants baseball games.

Yikes. I better get going!

• minnie_tx
    18 years ago

tommeca's reference to "I just need to try to knit one row a night." Reminded me of my Mom. She was always crocheting her "Three rows today"

• profsusan
    18 years ago

still in "baby mode" - finished the graph pattern for Winnie the Pooh last night - need to finish the baby blanket though since I've added balloons in the corners on the bottom so tonight's project is to continue and add the balloons at the top and hopefully the edging by Sunday. Then I need to make booties, bibs, and I make this little boot that holds wipes (or powder if anybody still uses it). It was a Christmas boot pattern that I have used for babies for over 20 years. This baby shower is early March so I still have some time. The next baby is not due until August so I have time to make the next blanket. I am thinking about Elmo for that one.

For Christmas I made a purse from a Bernat pattern (seems to be in the shape of a flowerpot but she loved it) with bulky and fun fur trim...then made 3 more using the Lion Brand evening bag pattern for suede (but used double strands of Red Heart worsted for every day use)- made the Caron jewel box purse to match a dress my daughter wore as a bridesmaid in January along with matching flip flops with fun fur so she could dance!

Treated myself and made a new scarf for my jacket since the one I made last year disappeared - used ombre fun fur with baby boucle since I was afraid the fun fur would shed the way chenille does and I would be left with holes. Received many compliments on it....nice for a project that just took one evening. Of course this was crochet.

We are starting to make a number of Warm Up America afghans at work so I taught 4 people to crochet and they are teaching me to knit - not sure if I have the patience for it but will plod on for a few weeks and give it a try.

• mirren
    18 years ago

Well I finished one pair of the socks I had on needles. I need to order more yarn to finish the other pair. I also finished the two dishcloths and the hat. I started more mittens to keep with me at work, doctor's office, etc. Now I have to start sewing that soccer ball together. If I survive that I will be back.

• justjude
    18 years ago

I decided to challenge myself with some more difficult sock patterns than the plain ol' ones I've made in the past. I found a wonderful pattern book called Knitting on the Road: Sock Patterns for the Traveling Kintter which will keep me busy for years. The first one I'm trying has a pretty challenging pattern which requires me to watch closely all the time, and count at the end of nearly every row. I'm using Mountain Colors "Bearfoot" yarn (wool, mohair and nylon) which feels heavenly in the hand but tends to split a bit--another reason to count stitches frequently. So I can't work on these and be sociable at the same time.

I think I will try to give "everyone" hand knit socks for Christmas next year. (This means about nine or ten people.) It will probably take me the whole year.

Someone said she knits three sweaters a MONTH??? Good grief, girl, you are so lucky to have that kind of time! If I did three sweaters in a year I'd be delighted.

The big unfinished project right now is a very dark gray cardigan with a red snowflake pattern I designed myself. It's completely done except for sewing a grosgrain ribbon band on the fronts and then making the buttonholes and attaching the buttons. I could have a perfectly good new sweater to wear this winter if I would just spend an hour doing this and FINISHING IT. (Why do we do this?)

Judy

• bessiedawg
    18 years ago

justjude-I now devote at least two hours each day to crocheting and knitting sweaters for the Guidepost Sweater Project or as it is now known as Knits For Kids. They are just simple T-Sweaters and really don't take all that long to make. I started making them when my father was ill and living with us. It really helped to pass the time while waiting through his chemo treatments and later at his bedside. He has been gone for almost six years now and I still keep making them. I always carry extra patterns with me in case someone is interested in helping with this worthwhile project. I know of at least two groups that have started getting together one night a week from different churches to knit or crochet these sweaters. I have posted the link below for anyone that might be interested in helping out. Linda

Here is a link that might be useful: Guidepost Sweater Project

• dances_in_garden
    18 years ago

I have a sweater for my lovely daughter "on the needles" right now. I am blissfully ignoring the fact that once the part done on circulars is done I will have to run to the store, since I bought two pairs of straight needles instead of two sets of DPNs in those sizes. It is a free Red Hart pattern on a label, and of course I bought the needles based on the outside details. What was inside was more direct about the DPNs so now I have two sets of needles I don't need. I swear the ball band was laughing.

I finished a shoulder shrug for my mom's b-day, it just needs a tassle or two. I have it out so I can admire it while I work on other things LOL.

I have 20 balls of sock yarn on the table mocking me. Some will be socks for DD (which she will wear and refuse to remove) and some will be socks for me (which I will wear for a minute, admire, get overheated and rip them off and fling them across the room). I might knit a pair for my sister if she ever lets me close enough to her feet to measure them.

Now that I am learning to knit and getting a bit more confident, I can see I will be very very very busy.

• RuddMD
    18 years ago

Hi everyone! Popped in from the Cooking Forum. I see a few friends here. :)

I finally (well almost) finished the baby poncho I started in September. Then in the last two evenings I knitted an oven mitt. This is my third one. I think I'm getting the hang of those things. This will go into the swap we are doing over at the CF.

Now, I'm ready to look for a new project. I came here for inspiration.

Bubbe - I have some recycled silk purchased from ebay. Do you have a link to the pattern you're using?

• Eliza_ann_ca
    18 years ago

I am currently on the last sleeve of a turtleneck sweater for my 6 year old grandaughter.Then all I have to do is sew it together and pick up and knit the turtleneck part.
    I hope to get this project finished on the weekend.
    I have bought the wool to knit an Aran knit sweater for my youngest son who is attending university,and just loves home knitted sweaters.Because of the need to really concentrate on this pattern of cables and bobbles,I've been putting off this project for a while.As long as I can get it finished for next Christmas,I'll be happy.
    I just need to get motivated to get it started.

Eliza Ann

• netla
    18 years ago

I'm still working on the granny squares afghan I started before Christmas. I call it my gypsy project because it is all done with leftover yarn and no two squares are the same. I now have 150 squares. 180-200 should be enough.
    Being a student means I have limited time and having myalgia prevents me from doing too much in one sitting.

• profsusan
    18 years ago

finished the Winnie the Pooh blanket last night - next is smaller items - bibs, booties, etc.

• socks
    18 years ago

Profsusan, that is just adorable!! How did you work the images onto the afghan?

I've made a couple of baby afghans. Here they are.

This one is made of Wendy Peter Pan yarn which was recommended by Donnaloomis. It's for a co-worker who is expecting her first baby:

{{gwi:1572275}}

This one I made to donate to the Girl Scouts who are collecting baby things for a charity.

{{gwi:1572276}}

• profsusan
    18 years ago

it is all done in single crochet and then I used graphs I found online - the balloons are from Shona's Place: http://shonasplace.greycastle.net/Crochet/MyPatterns/minigraphs.html
    and Winnie is from Brigitte's graphs:
    http://www.breienmetplezier.nl/Breipatronen/disney.htm
    that is also where I got the Nemo graph for the blanket I posted a few months ago

• hablano
    18 years ago

I am almost done with a heart doily I am doing in light yarn. It is pretty easy rather in thread. I will post it when its finished.

• profsusan
    18 years ago

finished 3 baby bibs

, a boot that holds wipes, booties,and a Christmas stocking for the new baby.
    I made stockings for the parents for their bridal shower Christmas wishing well so I just used the reverse colors here so the three of them would have matching stockings

• tamara1949
    18 years ago

I have too many projects going right now. On my needles: a sweater set with Butterfly cotton, a sweater jacket with Homespun, a scarf/belt with a Sinfonia cotton, a couple of Christmas stockings for Christmas 2006, a pair of mittens for my daughter, a couple shopping bags, a skinny double-knit scarf just to have something in my purse. And when I finally got my hands on a copy of Vogue Knitting Designer Knits, I dropped everything else and I'm currently actively working on the Enchanted Forest cardigan with Brown Sheep Lambs Pride!

Sponsored
More Discussions