SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vtjh

Water Heater- which one should I buy?

Jeff
17 years ago

My 25 year old, 80-gallon electric water heater is on its way out, and I want to replace it now, rather than after it dies completely. I have several questions about which water heater to buy. IÂd appreciate any thoughts you could give me, before I head down to the store (or call the plumber; I havenÂt decided yet which IÂm going to do).

Where we live (in Vermont), I can use either an electric or propane water heater. I have a 100 gallon propane tank for my oven, clothes dryer, and for a space heater I almost never use. We fill it less than once per year.

I have looked on line at places that sell both LP and electric heaters. One site in particular shows the energy ratings of their heaters. Based on my electric costs (about $0.12/kWh) and my propane costs ($2.50/gal), when I do the calculations, for the same size water heater, the electric one is cheaper to run, by several hundred dollars per year.

Additionally, hooking up an electric water heater is cheaper and much easier to do, because we wouldnÂt have to run a gas line for an LP heater or install a power vent, which we would need at our house.

My question is, am I missing something in my calculations? Can the electric heater really be cheaper to use? I have always read that electric is by far more expensive than gas, but I donÂt come up with that same conclusion.

Next question: how large a water heater should I buy? We have a three BR house, but itÂs only my wife and me living here. Even when the kids visit, we have never run out of hot water. I think that electric heaters are usually sized larger, because they take longer to reach temperature. It also looks to me like larger electric heaters donÂt cost significantly more to run than smaller models (60 gal vs. 80 gal, for example).

So, how large an electric heater should we get? IÂm thinking 50-60 gallons.

How about an LP water heater? IÂm thinking 40-50 gallons.

Last question: my electric company has a special rate for water heaters- it costs about half, or less than half of the normal rate. HereÂs the catch: I would only get eight hours a day of power, between the hours of 11pm and 7am. Whenever I talk to the electric company about this option, they always try to talk me out of it. I donÂt think thatÂs because they donÂt want me to save money; I think that maybe not many people use this rate.

IÂd appreciate answers/comments on as many of my questions as possible. Thanks.

Comments (18)