SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Right forum? Red "fireblock" caulk around bathroom fans

2ajsmama
10 years ago

The modular home builder put this red caulk that is NOT flexible around all the bathroom fans in the house (upstairs and down), I haven't seen it around any of the other electrical (ceiling light boxes) but it's driving me crazy. Most of it has stopped falling in the downstairs powder room and the one finished bathroom (though we do get some inside the cover now and then, and occasional tiny flakes on the floor), but I want to finish the master bath, seems like every time I go in there to try out tile samples, paint colors, or just to get new sheets out of the linen closet, there are more flakes I need to vacuum up, and I just saw what looked like a nail coming out of the fan over the soaking tub, it's a big "splinter" of this stuff.

Builder told me it was fireblocking of some kind, and that I couldn't even change the fans without needing major sheetrock patching (fan installed in powder room is too big for 21sf room - same size as full baths and it sounds like jet engine in there). But we're going on 7 years now (I know, time to finish the master bath) and this stuff is still falling from the ceilings, it CAN'T be doing any good as a sealant, for air penetration or flames!

What do I have to do to dig it all out without causing major damage, and what should I replace it with (I don't know what's required for fire code)?

Comments (7)