SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oofasis

Would you do this w/ your 'engagement ring'? Emotional/Practical

oofasis
16 years ago

When my husband and I got engaged 30 years ago, I didnÂt want a diamond ring. I still had plenty of my hippie-influenced values and (Silly me! What was I thinking!) didnÂt see the point of thousands of bucks resting on my finger at the time. What I really wanted was a potterÂs wheel, and thatÂs what DH gave me. And over the 30 years weÂve been together, itÂs brought much happiness to me. IÂve never sold my pots, havenÂt wanted to - what I throw on the wheel is purely for my personal pleasure. Back then, our homes in NY had basements for me to set up my wheel. When we moved to CA twenty years ago we bought a home with a three-car garage, so I again had space for my wheel. Nine years ago we down-sized and moved here to a much smaller home with only a two-car garage and no space at all to set up my wheel. It has collected dust in a closet under the stairs since then.

WeÂve remodeled and added a lot of space, but at the cost of remodeling our space decisions were practicality-driven, i.e., no room/$$ for a place to throw my pots. Combine that with full-throttle menopause, and I truly havenÂt felt "centered" enough to go back to my wheel. ItÂs a big and very heavy piece and takes up valuable storage space.

We could continue to keep it, but it would just be packed away and not used. Or I could give it away to someone who would really want it, "pay it forward" as they they say.

I have very strong emotional ties to the wheel, but theyÂre just emotions after all.

Would you let it go? What would you do?

P.S. IÂve had 2.40 carats on my left finger for many years now! My old hippie mentality about diamonds went out the window a long time ago!

Comments (21)