SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

Doglovers- We finally found a final resting place!

Shannon01
14 years ago

8/16/2007 our german shephard passed away. He would have been 14 in Oct. He passed away from being old, he was ready to go.

My husband and I both had the idea to scatter his ashes along a trail we took him on when he was 2. There are a bunch of high Sierra lakes in CA. We went took him there and had an amazing day. July and there was still snow on some of the granite outcroppings. I took a photo of my husband and him on a rock on the edge of the lake.

This weekend as we were deciding what to do my dh mentioned that Sunday would be two years since his passing. He wanted to take our new pup- well he is 9.5 months if you want to call 80lbs a pup- and the ashes up to the lake. My 8yr ss was fine with it. My 12yr dd refused to go. We all went and after hiking under a totally blue sky at 75 degrees we passed by the favorite spot. DH had carried the ashes in his pack for our buddies final hike. We went off trail into a granite area and scattered the ashes. My dh had printed off the Rainbow Bridge- I had no idea he had done this. I did not ask our dd to join us so she sat nearby. It was too hard for her. Our son had no clue. Dh asked our ss to read the poem. It was really sweet. Afterwards I took the poem from my dh and reached into my pocket. I had taken a rock and put a black paw print on it with our buddies name, bith/passing dates. I placed them ontop a large granite boulder. Dh was surprised and thought it was sweet.

On the way home dh mentioned he forgot to mark the spot with his handheld gps. I think he was planning on going back this next weekend. I told him there was no need, we would forever remember the spot.

It was the most beautiful yet sad day. We move on as we have to. Our new pup takes up our attention now. He does not look at all like our first buddy but we do catch ourselves calling him by the other name. His personallity is way different too. But they both love to hike and hiking takes you to serene places where you are allowed to be free.

At first I was a little sad knowing the ashes of our pal were no longer in my china cabinet but knowing he is part of such a beautiful place is the best feeling ever. Whenever my day is bad I just think back to that place. A happy feeling will always come.

Thanks for letting me share.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022