SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rebeccag3

Help with flooring choices - see pics

rebeccag3
15 years ago

We are remodeling a 1940's cottage-style home and need to address the dining room floor, which is immediately to the right of the foyer in an open living/dining/foyer area. The former owners popped out the front wall to make a dining room and rather than trying to match the original floor in the adjacent living room, they installed ugly gray berber and called it "done"!

Since we too, have been unsuccessful matching the old flooring, we thought we could do something unconventional and create a two-toned pattern with new oak flooring. It is a border, which stands out, rather than attempts to blend with the original floor in the adjacent living room.

In other words, instead of trying to blend it where it doesn't match well, we will just use the power of contrast and make the new wood floor (same species - oak) look deliberate. We are also hoping it will better define the space.

On the eve of installation, I'm second-guessing our idea because I notice few people do these things, unless doing a border with floral motif wood inlay or such.

Does anybody think this is hideous? It surely can't be as bad as staring at plywood, like we've done for 2 years! I'm wondering if this will pass for a while until we can replace the entire floor?

Please share your ideas - you guys are so creative. Please see "My Page" for a link to my photobucket "dining floor" folder. Thanks.

Comments (4)