SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

1st Aldi Experience

Rudebekia
14 years ago

I'm hooked! After driving by it for years on my way to the big box store, I finally decided to take some time to check it out. Although others have reported that Aldi's are sometimes dirty, etc. I found exactly the opposite. It was a Wednesday afternoon, virtually empty of people and thus felt spacious despite its smaller size. And it was far cleaner, I'd say, than the usual condition of the big box grocer. I didn't need much--really just looking--but I stocked up on some pantry and dairy products and filled a big bag for $10.00. Geez, when was the last time that happened? (I even had a flashback to my student days shopping cheap at IGA or Kroger!) The produce was limited but looked immaculate--celery, peppers, big heads of lettuce and cabbage. I didn't find a few items I eat regularly such as garbanzo beans and don't know if they were simply out or never have them. I've heard people complain about the .25 needed for the cart and paying for bags if you don't bring your own, even the sitting cashiers, but all this just reminds me of markets in Europe where I've lived off and on. The only "negative" for me is bringing cash since I never have it on me. I'll certainly hit it every week from now on to see how much of my grocery list can be bought there! Just wondering who else here shops at Aldi.

Comments (31)

• mcmann
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks for posting your review. I have 2 Aldi's nearby and like you I drive past them often and have never bothered to stop. But after reading about your experience I'll make a point of visiting. I'll just have to remember to take cash and my bags too.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mcmann, I'd advise you to go on an "off" time like I did on a mid-Wednesday afternoon so you can explore without being jostled by people. That said, I'm not sure when products come in, or produce is most fresh. I want to ask about the best time to shop there.

• Related Discussions

My 1st experience with gardening is turning into a nightmare... HELP!

Q

Comments (4)
    Thanks for the info. The slimy mud dried out mostly by the next day. When I stuck my finger a couple inches in the soil it just felt cool/damp but not wet so I'm assuming that means it's draining well? When I started the soil was dry like cement as you described. Now it's a more loose & workable. I live on a friend's property, they no longer have horses but do have llamas. She said their poop (which looks like lima beans) makes great fertilizer so I'll gently work some "Llama beans" into the soil in the next week or 2. Somebody pointed out that it sounded like I was "loving" the raspberries to death so I'm going to leave them alone for now and only water them every 2-3 days instead of daily. As far as the peppers go I had no idea about the frost thing. My friend planted her tomatoes the same time as I planted my peppers and her plants are growing no problem.... so maybe over watering is/was part of the problem too? I think I'll just dig up the dead plants and go buy a couple of new ones from Lowe's acclimate them over a whole week instead of only a day and then see how they do once planted. Luckily my strawberry & zucchini plants seem to be holding up ok so I guess that makes my garden only a 50% failure LOL
    ...See More

HELP! My 1st gardening experience is turning into a nightmare

Q

Comments (7)
    The very first garden is always a bit of a trial and error so learn from your mistakes and enjoy your successes. And there will be some :-)) I'd just leave the berries alone for their first season and worry about pruning next spring. As a very general rule of thumb, you never want to fertilize something when first planted. Stressed plants are unable to assimilate the fertilizer properly and a new planting or transplanting is always going to have some stress associated with it. Mud is not necessarily a bad thing but poor or slow drainage is. Figuring out your soil conditions and any need to amend should be something considered long before any planting is contemplated, ideally last fall for a current spring planting now. The mud is most likely the after-effect of a freshly amended planting bed and a bit too much irrigation. As long as it dries out fairly rapidly - no puddling of water for more than a few minutes - then drainage is probably fine. And really no need to have lifted and replanted the berry canes. The issues with your peppers is that they may have been planted out too early. Hot season crops - like peppers, tomatoes, corn and eggplants and most melons - need both warm air temps and warm soil temps to establish and start putting on growth. In most parts of the state, that doesn't happen until well into May - Yakima's average last frost date is not until 5/15 or so, so overnight temperatures and ground soil temperatures would not be sufficiently warm enough to keep crops like the peppers happy. And if overnight temps dropped to around 40F or so, it could even be cold enough to kill them. Try again and don't be discouraged. You will learn a lot this season and be much better prepared for next year! And come back to ask any more questions you might have.
    ...See More

HELP! 1st gardening experience is a nightmare. No idea what I'm doing!

Q

Comments (1)
    use the search... link
    ...See More

1st Hydroponic Experience Questions

Q

Comments (3)
    As for nutrients, i am currently looking at switching to something from the GH Flora series, which seems to be the go to for beginners, so no recommendation there. You definitely do not remove the plants from the rockwool cubes, you just put the rockwool cube into the system and fill around it with the clay medium.
    ...See More
  • country_bumpkin_al
    14 years ago

I love our Aldi's! Ours is also very clean! Ours always has very fresh produce and meats. I've heard people complain about the $.25 for the buggy too! I keep a quarter in a pocket in my purse just for Aldi's! lol You get the quarter back when you return the cart to it's place anyway! Let's face it...some people just want to complain! I usually use my debit card to pay!

I always look forward to their ad just to see what kind of "stuff" they have. This weeks ad has a 32" flat screen TV ($299.99), a 3.7qt.Crofton Deep Fryer ($24.99) and a Crofton 4.5qt. Buffet Warming Tray ($29.99).

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

You can sign up at their website and get their weekly ad. Around here I believe the ad starts on a Thursday, for some reason they changed it. Yes, I like Aldi's too.

Sue

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

I can usually come out with alot of groceries for much less money when I shop Aldis; but as mentioned, they don't carry many of the food items or brands that I cook. There frozen entrees are sometimes downright exotic! I love to browse them, and my favorite is the huge 4lb.(?) box of frozen lasagna; it has an Italian name that escapes me now and I even went online to try and find out what it was. Can't find it. Anyway - it's the BEST. They don't carry it all the time, like some other foods, and you have to keep checking back. Is it Prianos?

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

It IS Priano Lasagna! I just googled it.

• OklaMoni
    14 years ago

There were Aldi stores in my home town in Germany. It's just a no frills store. Their products are good, and their specials really good. I linked the current special at the bottom.

Moni

Here is a link that might be useful: specials starting Jan 27

• kacram
    14 years ago

I've been to one, and while it was clean produce selection was AWFUL! WE were out in SE Ohio last year to see DH and I wanted some fresh fruit. Apples, oranges, bananas.. something and we came out of Aldi's with nothing. I wouldn't have purchased a single item from their produce section. We went over to Walmart and were able to buy an orange (omg, the price! lol) and some bananas... but there was NO fresh apples to be had. Every one we picked up in both store were soft, gushy, bruised and disgusting.! blech! lol NOw, I don't know if it is where they buy their produce from, or if peeps down there don't eat fresh fruit! lol
    Couldn't find any on menus at restaurants either. None of the rest. we went in to had even heard of whole wheat!! LOL No grilled fish, or chicken, everything was breaded, fried or doused with sauces.

• country_bumpkin_al
    14 years ago

Thanks Marilyn...I had no idea I could sign up for their ad!!! Heading there now!*S*

• monica_pa Grieves
    14 years ago

I've been in the two near us....never went back into them.

Since I buy very little frozen, canned or boxed food...and the produce was limited and not fresh, I will not go back into one.

• jannie
    14 years ago

My mother avoids Aldi. She got something that was spoiled once and never went back. Of course, she has a Wegmans even closer, so that's where she shops now!

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    14 years ago

Even though the ad may say something is coming on sale on a certain day, if you go a day or two early it may already be in the store. I have been happy with the appliances I have bought there. I have two Crofton ovens and a large crock pot. I also bought Amber the same crock pot and she uses hers every week. I think if you had your receipt you could return something. I got bad chicken at Meijer just recently and they refunded my money. It may depend on your Aldi's on how clean it is. I like buying staples there and some of the special things like the insulated bags for food.

Sue

• lynn_d
    14 years ago

I tried it, we have bought from them a few times but I was not happy with the quality. I must be buying the wrong things! I have not tried the appliances, I am talking about food items.

• caroline1947
    14 years ago

We have shopped Aldis foy YEARS,and have seen two old ones gone and new re built. They are spotless,the produce is fresh,and we can find almost anything we need there.AND remember,the DUGGARS shop there!!!(sorry,couldn't resist)

• gadgets
    14 years ago

My DD introduced me to Aldi's a long time ago, and I've been going ever since. I guess it's personal tastes, the conditions of your local store, etc. I like some things, others I've tried and won't ever use again.

Thanks, Moni, for letting me know their ad is online. I'll ck there before I go from now on.

Shirley

• country_bumpkin_al
    14 years ago

Our Aldi's has NEXT weeks ad on a rack at the EXIT door. I always pick one up, but I don't go in every week, so the email and online ad is a great help!*S*

I have a 5qt. Crofton Dutch Over and it's my favorite piece of cookware! I want the 3qt. size..but they haven't had that one in a while!

• Adella Bedella
    14 years ago

I'm not an Aldi's fan. I went in there last year. The front where you come in has tons of junk food. It was cheap, but cheap is costly if it's unhealthy. The nuts for cooking weren't bad. As with everything, you have to read the labels. I found several food items that came from China. I don't trust food from China because of the contamination issues of the past few years. I've tried the canned foods on two different occasions. The first time, the canned goods were low quality, but the second time they were good. I can get better deals on better quality bread from the bread outlets around here so that wasn't a bargain for me. The produce wasn't very fresh and looked like it needed to be used that day or the next. Paper towels were a good price, but the soaps, shampoos, etc., appeared to be lower quality and not a great bargain compared to Wal-Mart.

• jayokie
    14 years ago

I like our area Aldi's. Because it's farther from me than most stores (Not "that" far, but....), I go about every 6-8 wks & stock up on what I get from them. IMO their small peas are as good as Lesuer's, and their sloppy joe mix better than a name brand. And a lot cheaper. Same with oatmeal, ketsup (watch & compare with sales), apples in 3 lb bag. Potatoes sometimes. Eggs, especially on sale, but I only use those for baking. I wasn't satisfied with a dry cereal, returned it to the store & got a refund with NO problems.

As for the quarter for a cart...good grief! you get it back. The cash only can be a hassle, but they now take debit cards. The cash only is a cost saver, I'm sure - no going after hot checks, etc. Since I use cash for gro, I just have to remember my cloth bags! If I'm getting extra canned goods (Mom has me get hers sometimes as she doesn't have Aldi's), I use an empty box from the store. And I can sack the items the way *I* want/need them! If I were shopping for a family, I'd be there more often, I'm sure. I'm just glad they are available. And I'm sorry for those who've had lousy experiences....sounds like VERY poor management.

• snap58_in_wi
    14 years ago

Love our Aldi's & have been going for years. Great Prices when your watching a budget & have lots of hungary kids at home :~)
    We have 3 stores in our town. One store is very clean, great produce & lots of there sales items. The other stores.....not so much. They do seem to have issues with older produce & keeping items stocked. I've learned what I like to buy at Aldi's though trial & error over the years. At Christmas time, they have great items that you don't see in other stores.

Yep....Like my Aldi's

• patti43
    14 years ago

We got our first one here not long ago, but it's on the other side of town so it'd take us at least 1/2 hour to get there. We have a Publix and Winn-Dixie less than 4 minutes away so we haven't been.

I like that they let the checkout clerks sit on stools instead of standing all day. Also like the .25 fee for a cart and taking your own bags. I read their ad every week and I'm not sure how I feel about trying brands I've never heard of.

If they put on on our side of town, I'd sure give it a shot.

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Keep in mind that some people have issues with almost everything.

Here is a tip: If you serve guests food from Aldi, they may find fault with the food. We have good friends who have raved about my culinary abilities for years. Not long ago, the man started ranting about how he would never eat food from Aldi because it's garbage, it's unsafe, blah blah blah. I disagreed with him, but stopped short of telling him he'd been eating Aldi food at my house for years, including the very meal he had just finished and raved about!

I have no issues with Aldi, and frankly, think people who do are looking for things to dislike. What store doesn't have junk food just inside the doors? Or food made in China? Or a bad batch of oranges or apples now and then? I've returned more food to the Pick and Save than I have to Aldi.

Let the grumblers spend their money at the other stores; I get a kick out of listening to them complain about the high cost of food, and how much better their food is than "the junk" they won't buy at Aldi! Sheesh!

Sherry

• marry
    14 years ago

We love Aldi's! We buy almost all of our canned goods there, same way with frozen foods too. So far the produce has been really good! Last week I bought pineapples for 99 cents a piece!! 99 Cents! For a fresh pineapple! They are wonderful! Co-Jack and Cheddar cheese slices! Yummy! Cream cheese for 99 cents too! Why in the world would I spend almost 2 dollars for Philly brand?

• schoolhouse_gw
    14 years ago

I agree, if you are on a strict budget or have hardly any income and have a family to feed Aldis can certainly help out. You don't have to buy junk food. Like I say, I don't buy all my groceries there just certain items.

• sheesh
    14 years ago

For us, it's not about being on a strict budget. It's just plain silly to pay more for food (or anything else, for that matter) than you have to.

Of course I can't buy everything I need at Aldi - cilantro is a good example - but almost anything I can buy at Aldi, I do buy at Aldi. Name brands? Heck with 'em. Coupons? Not necessary at Aldi. I'd much rather have the money I save than the prestige (or whatever it is) of going to the other stores.

99 cents for a pineapple? We're enjoying one for lunch today.

• ann_in_florida
    14 years ago

I love shopping at Aldi's. Our Aldi's is always very clean and bright, with very nice employees. I am pleased with their produce department, although it is limited and does not carry as many items as most larger supermarkets. I have been truly amazed at some of the finds I have purchased at Aldi. I always leave, feeling I have saved a lot of money!!!

• bigfoot_liz
    14 years ago

like monica we do not eat boxed, frozen or canned anything, absolutely nothing processed. i refuse to even pull into the lot LOL they've made a horrible impression on me in the early 90's in chicago, definitely not my kinda place, i'll pay more for environment, thank you. i will put up w/ my Neighborhood Marketplace wal-mart (just food) while DH is in school but that is my limit on cheap places.

dh did go visit a new Aldi store very close to us and didn't find a single thing to get. we get all of our produce at a farmers market across the street and he said the Aldi produce section was tiny and everything old. i'm sure everyone gets produce at the stand across the street. he said unless you eat frozen or boxed dinners or from a can they have nothing. their prices were very low thou which is unfortunate for those who can afford to only shop there and just goes to the point that poor people say their options for cheap food are never the healthiest. from what DH says about our Aldi store it's completely true. ~ liz

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should clarify that I, too, don't eat any junk food or most processed food. I cut all that stuff out of my diet a long time ago, with only occasional relapses. Yes, there is a lot of that stuff at Aldi, but what store doesn't have it? The hallway into my local big box Cub store is lined with junk food and pop. What I bought at Aldi yesterday were cans of beans, canned tomatoes, cheese, milk, eggs, a couple spices, and ground turkey for homemade chili. Have read the ingredients carefully on each and they are no different whatsoever than the usual name brand canned products I buy at other groceries. And, as mentioned, the produce looked 100% clean and fresh although I didn't buy any at the time. It is too bad that the experience seems to vary so much from store to store! I do appreciate all your comments, and I will keep shopping there!

• sheesh
    14 years ago

Me, too, marita. As I have said many times on these forums, I am an excellent cook who cooks most things from scratch. I'll put my dairy and bags of Aldi flour, sugar, beans, rice and pasta against the fanciest brands out there. I buy plenty of meat, fruit and vegetables there, too.

Like I said upthread, some people have issues with everything.

Sherry

• cynic
    14 years ago

You gotta admit, people are strange. They'll complain about a 25 deposit (which you get back when you return the cart) at Aldi's, yet think nothing of paying $30-$50 to walk into Costco or Sams! And there you DON'T get your deposit back!

I'd go to Aldi far more often if it was more conveniently located for me but I still go there occasionally. You have to know your prices because not everything is a bargain, but I still like the stores. It's sort of a garage sale trip because you never know for sure what they'll have. So if you like something and they have it, you might want to stock up because it might be a long time before you get it again.

I've always seen good produce and excellent meat. Meat prices are fair, but quality is excellent. I always caution people that you probably won't be able to do all your shopping there (but then again, same applies to the warehouse clubs) but considering the savings, it's worth the trip for me.

Every store can have a section, especially produce, picked over so one trip during a busy time is a bad way to judge a small store. Even big places aren't always well-stocked. I'm not crazy about the canned goods I've gotten there. I can usually do better on sales at the other stores. I do buy some junk food but eggs, milk, bagged salad are almost always far cheaper than anywhere else. They have a frozen pecan pie that's the best I've had, but again, they don't have it often. There's a frozen pizza that is actually quite good and they have pork sausage patties that are the best I can buy. They have a 12 grain bread that is great and much cheaper than at other stores and they have gourmet cookies that are great. I also like the muffins and bread sticks. Their spaghetti sauce is fairly cheap but only mediocre. They have an excellent pizza sauce, at least that I like, although it's more expensive. They often have excellent and cheap fruit and I've never been disappointed in their grapes. I don't know where they get them but I seldom find grapes that good in the other grocery stores. I usually make a trip there when I need sausage. I consider it a "Mini Walmart" since both stores I bring a list and seldom get everything on the list. They just don't have it all the time. Product mix changes often.

I really like the size of the store. I can handle it. However it gets packed and people buy a lot of items there so you might have a wait at the checkout on busy days. They've extended their hours so that's an improvement.

Their cleaners are generic/store brand like you get anywhere else and the prices are OK, but not great. I can generally do better on cleaners at Walgreens or Target but I bought some bleach there that was a reasonable price and face it, bleach is bleach for my use.

I think a lot of people who have big disappointments about Aldi might have some unreasonable expectations. They will not always be cheaper on everything, no different than any other store. They will not carry the variety that Walmart will carry. They do require cash since margins are slim. If you go in expecting too much, you'll be disappointed. I wish they had more consistent inventory, a few more items, but there's a price to be paid. Again, it's a store for some of your shopping.

I made up a list of things I like and didn't like there and consult that before going to the store. I also track where there's better prices. By knowing prices I know if I'm getting a good deal or not.

I hope other stores pay attention that a neighborhood grocery store CAN survive in today's market. I'd like to see the small corner grocery store come back. Otherwise I might just go to the delivery services. They're actually a reasonable alternative.

I say GOOD FOR THE CASHIERS! to be able to sit. The cash only is an inconvenience but I understand not wanting the check & credit card losses when you're working on such slim margins. The deposit for the cart? Brilliant! Saves labor and wear and tear on the carts. Yes it's slightly inconvenient to walk to the side of the building but I'm OK with that. Often I'll see someone loading their car near me and just give them a quarter and take the cart - saves them from walking back and forth again and saves me time and walking too.

It's a unique store with very unique sales approaches. I find their history to be interesting. This is not a new store by any means.

Oh, and yes, if you will only shop Whole Foods, you won't like Aldi!

• goldy
    14 years ago

I'm hooked on Aldi"s.watch the prices some times they creep up.It's good to stop by your regular stores and then you are glad to get back.

• donna37
    14 years ago

I really like Aldis and wish there was one closer to where we live. Nearest one is 50 mi., so I only go once in a great while if I'm going to that town for some other reason.

I got the best strawberries there last year and more reasonable than anywhere else, plus they came from my old hometown in CA.

If gas wasn't so expensive I would go more often and shop there.