SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
politronics

Wood to Tile transition

politronics
12 years ago

HI! I have finished my kitchen and put tile in. I am going to put tile on the other side of my living room and my entry. Right now, these areas are transitioned by carpeted living and family rooms.

I have purchased some wood flooring to put in those two rooms. I want the transition to be level and I do not want to put in a transition strip.

There is cement board under my kitchen tile. My tile person is telling me that in the other two areas, she can use a sealer on the subfloor and tile right over that.

Some are telling me to stack the roofing felt to even the height of the floors, and then feather it out back from the transition areas to a single thickness. When I get to the new tile area, she will adjust the thickness of the quickset to provide a smooth transition. Others are saying to put down a thin OSB board to make up the gap instead of the felt paper and then use cement board under the tile.

I'm very confused. lol!

Any ideas? I've provided a pic. I don't have an exact measurement but I think it's almost 1/4" which will require several layers of felt paper.

THANKS!

Comments (3)