SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
burns44

HELP!!! My water heater keeps reseting!!!!

burns44
15 years ago

Three days ago my hot water heater went out. It had went out once before about a month ago and due to the huge inconvenience I decided to replace both elements (because I had it drained) and both thermostats (because I figured what the heck, might as well). I replaced everything Saturday evening and ended up having to reset the water heater Sunday morning & evening, Monday evening, and now today (Tuesday evening). I wired up the new thermostats exactly how the old ones were wired. The water heater is 4500 watts, the top element I installed is for a 4500 watt water heater, but the bottom element is for a 5500 watt water heater. This 5500 watt element was installed due to advice given to me by a Lowe's employee. He advised that using the 4500 watt element was like using a hairdryer on medium and the 5500 watt element was like using the hairdryer on high. He stated that the 5500 watt element would work in a 4500 watt water heater no problem.

My question is: is the element causing the water heater to kick off, or could one of the thermostats be bad?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)