SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tansunny_gw

labor costs for tile jobs?

tansunny
13 years ago

I am trying to research how much it would be to put tile or travertine down in my entryway. My Dad has offered to put in Duraceramic, but I'm not convinced that is the best option (I started another thread on this a couple of days ago but no one responded).

Anyhow, I am going forward with trying to get quotes. I would be able to purchase whatever material we decide to go with from a wholesaler. This wholesaler gave me the phone # to a tile installer. I called him over the phone and he was very friendly and sounded very knowledgeable. I described my situation to him.

The area that we want tiled is about 52" by 100" which includes a coat closet (24" deep). He stated his cost would be $425 not including the tile (he is fine with me supplying the tile). His cost includes mortar, grout and underlayment.

Does this sound reasonable? High? Low? It sounds high to me but that is because we were probably looking at 3 boxes of Duraceramic at about $65 each. Dad already has grout for it. And he wouldn't charge me for the labor. So the Duraceramic would cost be probably $200 and going with the installer and a tile or travertine could cost me $600-700 or more (no idea what wholesale cost is on tile/travertine).

This project would also involve cutting out a section of wood floor that is appox 24-30" by 52". The tile guy said he prefers to be the one who cuts the wood as he is the one who has to fit the tiles in the space that remains. I am not sure if we was including the cost of doing that with the labor.

Any advice for me? Its a lot of $$ but I want the job done right. On the other hand, what started as an $1800-2000 wood floor refinishing is quickly adding up. After the floors are refinished and the entry done, I still have to find a couple of rugs (any sources for those are great too).

I am so overwhelmed right now. The floor finishers are coming Nov 22. We can afford to spend more, but I only will if its justified. There are plenty of other things that the $$ could go towards remodeling in the coming years. On the other hand, I want the job done right and I want it to last.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz