SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danchokc

Specing a new Heat Pump System

danchokc
14 years ago

I'm new to the forum and don't know if this question been asked before but I'll give it a try. I'm planning to replace my aging heat pump with a new one in the next 1-2 months but before setting up appointment wih contractors, I'd like to hear some opinions here on the types of systems/brands to consider and the right questions to ask. I live in a two level garden style condo in Arlington VA(just ouside of Washington DC) 1,152 sq.ft. My current system is a 2 ton Goodman mismatched with a really old GE unit inside circa 1980 (the comperessor is on the roof) that brings down the efficiency of the entire system I've been told to around SEER 6-8. I moslty use the heating part of the system as I use AC only in the hottest days of summer. My estimate is that I use 700-800 kWh/month to heat my home in the Nov-March timeframe on average and my utility rate is 11 c/kWh. I have no other fuel option but electric. I'm also eligible to get get tax credits where the combined state federal credit is 50% on the 1st $5k and 20% for $5k-$10k difference. I beleive that my current system dries up the air in the heating mode and wonder what I should consider to allevaite the issue. Is a ventilator good option as it will also bring freesh air inside or just a humidifier is fine.

Could you please give me recommendations on what kinds of systems and brands to consider in terms of brands as I'm for the lowest overall operating cost over 10-15 year period. I'm thinking American Standard vs Bryant as these should be the same as Trane and Carrier but cheaper. Also could you recommend a common set of criteria/questionaire to evaluate the conractor's proposals on. I'll end here as the post is getting pretty long and thanks in advance for your comments.

Comments (16)