SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wwu123

Warm air out of furnace combustion vents?

wwu123
15 years ago

I have an early 90's era Amana gas furnace, 80% efficient, 140K BTU's (yes, it's a bit of a brute, was heating about 1500 sq ft of 50 yr old house, now heating 2600 sq ft of well-insulated remodeled house) that is in a large, basement-like crawl-space area. The furnace and the crawl space get fairly warm in the heating months, is this normal?

The supply ducts and plenum have all been insulated and tightly sealed, and are not warm to the touch. The 4" exhaust pipe coming out of the top of the furnace is very hot, as I'd expect. What surprised me was the warm air lightly blowing out of the grilles to each side of the exhaust pipe and the side grilles. I thought these are supposed to be intakes for combustion air, but instead a very slight amount of positive pressure is pushing warm air out of these grilles. It seems like somewhat of a waste of heat, as the crawlspace, which is about 300 sq ft, is ventilated but generally as warm as inside of the house itself.

These grilles are above the area where the burners are, so maybe they are not for intake air? On the other hand, there are no intake openings below the burners - the only source of air from below is the return air plenum.

Comments (3)