SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arc2v

Wood floor to wood floor doorway transition

Anthony
12 years ago

Hello,

We are installing 3/5/7 random width 4 side bevel oak flooring in our great room remodel. I wove it into existing (a pain in and of itself).

We are 90% done, but now I am a bit stuck. It is about to run into the doorway to the dining room, which is 2" flat oak flooring (tight, no bevel or gaps). So the transition will be oak to oak, but they are different styles.

My options:

1) dead into the old floor (very precise cuts, no room for error, have to redress the bevel on the cut edges)

2) plain oak board sideways in the doorway and dead into it from both sides. The old dining room floor is perfectly straight, but I'm not sure how I'd cut the existing floor across in a doorway. No room to get a saw or router in there, at least not all the way.

3) get it close and use a transition strip. I hate elevation changes, and right now the first floor has none, including three different floors (slate entry, wood in living/dining, and wood in the family/kitchen)

Am I missing an option? What is commonly done? When I google this, I get mostly results for tile to wood or wood to linoleum -- that kind of stuff.

Thanks in advance!

Anthony

Comments (3)