SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sue36_gw

Need to vent about my neighbor - again

sue36
17 years ago

A while back I wrote about our next door neighbor who is, uh, nasty with a "B". Well, it has happened again.

We live in a small subdivision that has large lots (2.5-4 acres). This neighbor and I have adjacent lots, but our houses are far apart. Our driveway is over 300', and their's is close to that. Our lot is large and we have left it mostly wooded, so we can't see their house during the spring and summer months. Both houses are at the end of the subdivision on the cul de sac. Their household includes the parents (in their 30s) and two little girls.

One day about a month ago DH and I came home at dusk to find a car with NH license plates parked in our front yard (we live in ME, near the border). Not in the driveway, in the yard. A man then walked out of the woods between our houses (their house is close to that lot line, ours is on the opposite lot line). Why would someone be walking in the tick-infested woods between our lots at dusk? From where he walked from, he could have been looking in their windows since their house is right there. If he wanted privacy, the woods in the other direction are more private (no house there). This neighbor has adorable little blond-haired girls that are about 5 and 8 years old.

I asked him what he was doing and he said he was looking for a bathroom. In the woods? Down a 300' driveway that has a car in it? DH and I both thought the guy seemed weird. He was geeky, clean-cut, 30-ish. He did not seem like a drunk. There are public restrooms at a gas station near us. If he needed to pee, he wouldn't walk into the woods (so says DH), he would just get out of the car and go. He got in his car and left.

So, to make a long story short, we called the police. The officer came and I told him what we saw and why we called (obviously, worried the guy was checking out the neighbor's house or kids). We gave him the license plate number. That was it (well, my cat also tried to jump into his arms, scaring the crap out of him, but that is another story). My father, who is a retired police officer, said we should tell the neighbor about it. We passed the husband on the road one day and told him about it (he asked for the license plate number, and then said he didn't recognize it or the description of the car). He thanked us and said he would call the police officer (whose name I remembered, it's a small town) and ask him what came of it. We never heard anything about it after that. I figured we had done our duty.

Fast forward a month. One of my other neighbors, who I am good friends with, said he bumped into the wife and she said to my neighbor (who had no clue what she was talking about, since I hadn't told him about the incident), "Just so you know, you shouldn't believe what Sue said about that incident. It didn't happen the way she said." He said she said it with a lot of righteous "tone", if you know what I mean.

WHAT!! Excuse me, but only DH and I were there. No one but us (and the weirdo) knows what happened, and that is what we relayed to the police. My good neighbor just said, "uh, ok", since he had no clue what she was talking about.

I called the husband today. I probably should have cooled of, but I've had it with these people (they keep throwing stuff over our property line, they were somehow involved in our snow plow guy no longer plowing for us, they were a pain in the butt when we were building, among other things). I told him I didn't know what his wife's problem is, but I don't appreciate her going around talking about me. I when into a whole thing about how I called the police because I was worried about HIS DAUGHTERS and she has the audacity to challenge my story?! Can you imagine if I hadn't called and a week later one of them got taken up by this guy outside their school or something (they go to school in NH)?

The husband was apologetic (he probably has to apologize for her a lot, everyone in town hates her) and said he appreciated that we were looking out for them, and that he would do the same for us.

I disliked this woman before, but in this instance I put that aside because I would never let my personal feelings get in the way of protecting a child. What do you think? I do feel better for venting to all of you, thanks.

Comments (27)