SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucy7280

heating/ac zones - can a room be changed from one zone to another

lucy7280
17 years ago

Please help me with some information before I approach our GC or HVAC contractor - we are about six weeks from moving into our new home - when we did the hvac walkthrough - we changed our original bid from two furnaces (one on the second floor for the bedrooms, one in the basement for the 1st floor and basement) to one furnace on the second floor for the upstairs and one furnace in the basement to be zoned into four areas:

area 1 - the basement

area 2 - master bedroom/bathroom

area 3 - the living room/foyer/study/powder/laundry

area 4 - the kitchen/family room

unfortunately i dont remember that we actually had the exact zones in writing.

when i went into the basement, i noticed that the ducts above the furnace now are labled and the zone that was only supposed to be the family room/kitchen also includes the LR. This is a problem for us because it is 20 ft high and is open to the 20 foyer/open stairs/catwalk...our original thinking was to be able to control the temperature of the kitchen/family room without having to lose heat/ac to the upstairs

Can this area be changed and by changed i mean fairly easily, without going through drywall? If it can be changed, what does it involve?

thank you from an end of the rope, end of the build, what could be wrong this week, homebuilder.

Comments (4)