SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wooderlander

what to do about high school graduation restrictions?

wooderlander
17 years ago

Our Northern California town is basically half Mexican and half Caucasian, including a significant Punjabi population, with large families that have been here for generations. We haven't been here for that long, but we do have a big family. High school graduation is a pretty big family deal here. My Dear Stepdaughter is our last graduating high school senior, so stepsiblings will come from out of state for the graduation, plus the three branches of our blended family here.

Here is the problem: Even though the graduating class is not huge, the new principal intends to allow each family only five seats at graduation and will not allow chairs to be brought in because it would look "tacky," though the ceremony will be outdoors. My first thought when I heard about this was "racism," though of course I could be wrong. I don't want to be a troublemaking organizer, but the new policy is unfair at least. I plan to speak to the principal, but don't expect much from him.

Is this policy normal and to be expected, or not? Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas for an effective way to approach this?

Comments (16)