SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Rialto Beige Tiles do not match from different lot numbers

susanlynn2012
15 years ago

On June 31, 2008, I bought home Rialto Beige Tiles using two $10 coupons. My client who is a friend let me put half the tiles on his credit card so I could use both coupons. When I got home, my other friend told me she felt I would have problems cleaning the pits and should go with a smoother tile. I asked the first friend if I could wait a few days before paying him since paying him now and exchanging the tiles or returning them would be a hassle since half was on his card (HIS idea) and then he would be paid back twice with a credit to his card. I wish I just used one coupon and had all on my card so the tiles would have all been here still and installed already.

Then less than 1 week later, the first friend/client came by and put all the tiles in his SUV and told me we were taking them back since he wanted his money now and I could not make up my mind and I should just get a tile without pits. This client is not poor at all and the little bit of money on his card is not a big deal so I was shocked that he could not wait one more day until I was sure.

After the tiles were out of here, I tried again to like another tile but I was drawn to the Rialto Beige. I brought home a few Rialto Beige tiles and tried them out with mud, ketchup, French Dressing and permanent marker. I had no problems removing any of the above so I decided I wanted the Rialto Beige Tile.

My other client referred me to a tile guy who does great work and told me the tile guy would buy the tile and grout and glue and would do everything and my client would pay for it since I helped him out with a sale tax audit. I waited and after over 2 months, I was told that the tile guy wanted me to buy the materials and then he would be here. I bought extra tiles all of the same lot. I told the tile guy that I would pay him in full and give him also the kitchen to do as well as fixing the grout in my bathrooms as extra work if the other client did not pay him so he has nothing to worry. He told me he was not worried but busy. He did not show up three times and I am upset.

Another client stopped by last night to drop off paperwork and asked me to bring out a few of the other tiles to see how they would look on my floor in the diagonal design. I had the two tiles on the floor in the foyer so that is why she wanted to know what I was doing. Then she commented that she liked the 2 lighter ones and why were the other 4 tiles darker. I told her my newly purchased tiles must be from a darker batch.

Now since no tile guy is here, I am thinking of just going to Lowe's and having their outside contractor installer come by and measure my floors and give me an estimate and let me know what glue I must buy since I have the supplies here.

I am wondering if should keep the darker lot or can I ask Lowe's if they have a lighter lot like my first 2 tiles that match the tile they have on their website since I like the way it looks with the Mushroom Grout and the lighter color is nicer in my darker middle foyer (not in the pictures).

If the tile guy would have installed the darker tiles, I would have lived with them but now since I have one more chance to make a change, I am wondering if I should.

All 6 tiles in the pictures below are Rialto Beige Tiles from Lowe's. The dog in the picture is Skeeter my 7.6 lb 9.75 year old Maltese who was barking at his reflection. I am going to repaint the foyer and trim when I have time but not right now. I really do not like the blinds but they have to stay for now. The front foyer below the tiles is very faded and worn while the middle foyer (not in the pictures) is a much longer foyer and is water damaged (warped and discolored with the veneered wood popped up so has to go and I want both foyers to match).

I plan to remove the carpet and replace with hardwood floors when the tile job is done and I have time to empty the file cabinets and seal the floors or level them and float the hardwood floors that I am leaning towards Brazilian Cherry for now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of the 2 different color tiles that are Both Rialto Beige

Comments (5)