SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

installing laminate flooring - few questions, expansion gap, etc.

hairmetal4ever
14 years ago

I have installed interlocking glueless flooring before. I am about to embark on another one.

We're probably using the tile-style Swift Lock Armstrong flooring from Lowe's...

First question is this:

I know we're supposed to leave a 1/4" gap for expansion and then use trim pieces and/or baseboard trim to "clean up" the install. Two sides will mostly be up against our cabinets in the kitchen, or between them (under the refrigerator...) - so do I need the gaps there as well? I am worried about the area the refrigerator sets in. One side is cabinets, the other side is a wall.The fridge is so tight that I never put baseboard on the wall side of the refrigerator...so if I "trim it in," the refrigerator might not slide back in there - especially if I do it on the cabinet side AND the wall side. Also - when installing a floating floor in a kitchen with existing cabinets, is it normal to put a quarter-round against the toekick? I can't recall ever seeing such an install, and if it doesn't match the cabs I'd imagine it would look bad. Advice/personal experience?? Removing the cabinets is NOT happening...

Second question:

On the wall opposite the refrigerator, 80% of it is a floor-to-ceiling vinyl window. Same issue here...if I leave the gap, I can't figure out how to fasten the quarter-round to the window frame, being vinyl, since I can't nail it...unless I use an epoxy - has anyone here dealt with this?

Comments (2)