SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
delanok

Carrier Heat Pump Short Cycling

delanok
14 years ago

My mother in south Texas has a 3 year old Carrier Heat Pump that is short cycling. It is in heat mode now. It comes on for a minute, then is off for 4-5 minutes and then comes on again, and so on... The bill last month was 3 times normal, and this month was twice normal. The outside unit is a 25HCR360A003 (5 ton 13 seer) and the air handler is FK4DNB006000. It has 15Kw heat strips. The Tstat is s thermidistat CCPRH01-B. It is still under parts and labor warranty, but it is located in a rural area and the local tech is probably not very experienced. The first service call last month, he just re-programed the tstat. I had them back today and he just increased the temp to 76 from 72 and put it on hold instead of the regular program (which was 72 all times). I need some common failure modes to advise them to check. My mother cant afford to be paying extra electric bills and I am concerned this problem will also damage the compresssor. The Tstat is probably limiting the compressor from turning on for the 4-5 minutes, so I guess it is doing its job?

Comments (5)