SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

trane 14 i /15i /16i

andrelaplume2
15 years ago

I understand the 14i is discontinued. I had an estimate from about 18 months ago for one...we opted to hold onto what we had. I really feel that this spring is the time to upgrade our 20 year old Trane or it will inevitablr fail at an inopportune time...plus our electric rates go up in 2010....plus there may be some federal rebate.

My Dad has an 18 or so year old unit that has a piston issue...he can fix it for $800, leave it go and replace now or leave it go and replace whenever it dies.

A trane guy came out and reccomened replacing it but waiting to see what the Trane / Federal rebates would be in a month or so.

He quoted my Dad $6400 for a 2.5T 15i with variable speed blower. I guess he gets a $300 rebate from Trane if purchased today on top of that. He could get a 16i for $7700 but the guy said that does not come in a 2.5T and a 3T might be too big.

Obvoiusly I do not have all the details but what interested me was that he told my Dad the 16i, due to its outside 2 stage compressor technology would actually save you 20% more on heating costs than the 15i. (More on AC too) He says sometimes there is either a $1K federal/Trane total rebate on that system. He told my Dad the 15i would more than suffice for him but if heating costs really were an issue, the 16i might be better. He said there was a 19i too but it would take forever to recoup the additional cost in out area (eatern PA).

Dad also said the quotes included 10 bumper to bumper parts and labor, now standard with these systems.

Ok, I assume the 15i will fill the bill for me too. Its the same price as the 14i quoted for me from another Trane company 18 months ago...and more efficient. Maybe my wife was right to wait! But, whats all this about the 16i saving 20% more on heat...is that possible, likely, a gimmic...whats the scoop. It also sounds like there are more complexities that could fail.

Thanks!

Comments (17)