SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Menopause/perimenopause - heart symptoms - help!

lkplatow
12 years ago

I am 40 and in reasonably good shape. I exercise regularly and have become quite a fitness buff (running and working out at the gym) since losing about 70 lbs two years ago. Back in December, I started having heart palpitations and a racing heart (220 bpm) during exercise. I have since been worked up every which way to Sunday by teams of cardiologists who have come up with nothing -- they say I have a structurally normal heart, there is no reason why I should be having these arrythymmias, the arrythmmias won't kill me since my heart is normal, and to keep on exercising and doing what I'm doing. But it's very disconcerting when I'm just sitting around and all of the sudden my heart starts racing and pounding....and it's even more disconcerting when it happens when I'm out running, alone, on a trail in the middle of the woods where no one will find me for an hour if I keel over.

So after months of getting nowhere with the cardiologists, another doctor (an endocrinologist I was seeing for an unrelated problem) mentioned that the heart issues could be due to perimenopause -- he looked at my bloodwork and saw that one of my female hormone numbers was off, which he said indicated menopause. At first I was in total denial (I'm only 40! My cycles are like clockwork! I'm not menopausal!) but I have since noticed that the heart issues definitely come and go at different points in my cycle -- for the first week after my period, I have none no matter how much exercise I do or caffeine I drink, then they build and build until my period again. So I'm thinking this doctor was right on with his hormonal theory.

He mentioned hormone replacement as something I should consider, but of course, I was in denial during that visit plus I had vaguely remembered hearing all kinds of horror stories about why hormone replacement for women is a bad idea (course, I wasn't paying much attention to those stories since menopause seemed like something I wouldn't have to worry about for many many years - ha!)

So before I go crawling back to the doctor and admit he was right, has anyone here had any experience with heart issues caused by menopause or hormone replacement? Do you think the HRT would help? Exactly what does HRT entail -- I have never been able to be on any kind of birth control pill because the pills just did weird things to me, so I'm worried the HRT will do the same thing. But I would really like to have my nice well-behaved heart back if possible - I've had to scale back my running and my mental health and my waistline are both suffering!

Comments (18)