SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

Strange pain attacks any ideas?

sweeby
17 years ago

OK, I know this is w a a a y off topic, but my husband is having these strange Âattacks and we canÂt figure out whatÂs going on. IÂll try to describe whatÂs happening and hope that maybe someone here will have a suggestion.

The attacks are basically an intense, irritating, biting or stinging sensation just under the surface of the skin on his torso. There is absolutely no visible change to the skin  no reddening, itching, hives, rash, etc. He describes it like "being bitten by a swarm of fire ants". The pain moves from here to there and back and seems to be nerve-related. Scratching does seem to offset the pain a bit, but there really isnÂt an underlying itch.

There seems to be some sort of climate trigger since the attacks have all occurred on humid days when DH is doing light physical work and is just starting to break out in a light sweat, or just after a hot shower. They certainly donÂt happen every time, and it hasn't ever happened if he is working hard enough to break a full sweat. The attacks typically last 30-60 minutes and leave him exhausted and cranky when theyÂre over. They donÂt seem to be associated with any particular type of soap or skincare product, and occur several times a week for a few weeks then disappear for months. He has tried Benadryl in case itÂs some type of allergy, but since the episodes stop on their own, we have no idea if the Benadryl is helping or not. (In general, DH is not a highly-allergic person.)

He has already asked his primary care doctor and dermatologist, neither of whom seemed to have any idea and pretty much dismissed it "since his 10 minutes were up"Â In general, DH is in robust good health (except for borderline high blood pressure), gets plenty of exercise and is in his early 50Âs.

So do any of you wise people have any ideas what this might be? Do you think it warrants a neurologist and a bunch of tests? We need a new primary care doctor anyway since neither DH nor I like the first guy.

Comments (18)