SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerzeegirl_gw

Do you tip the person who makes your fast food?

jerzeegirl
17 years ago

Guys, I need a reality check here. Today, I went to Subway for lunch. I ordered a sandwich; the two ladies who were working there made it. Then one of the ladies goes to the cash register to take my money. She gives me change and then I order a cookie (52 cents). I gave her $1.02 and she was supposed to give me back 50 cents. She then says: "Why don't I just throw this in the tip jar". She goes on to say that she's not shy to ask for tips; that she commutes everyday (about 10 miles); expensive gas; has to pay tolls (cue the violins), etc. I asked her why she didn't try to find a job closer to home and she said there weren't any. Very annoyed, I took my change and left the store. I vowed I would never go back again! I was so mad that someone behind the counter was panhandling for tips. I mean, they are getting paid to make sandwiches and why should I have to supplement that amount?

But then I got to thinking that maybe I'm wrong and I *should* be giving tips to the folks who make the sandwiches, the folks who pour the coffee. I think my perspective may be stone-age so I really want to try to understand if this is something I should start doing in the future.

I would love to hear your opinions on this new obligation. I am really puzzled.

Comments (18)