SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

Behavior for Widows: Am I being a jerk?

leafy02
11 years ago

I've been casual friends with "Sue" for a few years. She divorced DH#2 about five years ago. Her first DH died suddenly when they were in their mid 30's.

She recently told me (not as if divulging a secret, just in a "how you met your spouse" coversation) that she signed up for a dating service a month after DH#1's funeral and married DH#2 a month after that.

Ever since I found that out, I find myself questioning her character, wondering "who would do such a thing?".

I absolutely don't know what it would feel like to be widowed, but I can't picture myself wanting to date that soon, or introducing a new father figure to my kids that soon, or informing my dead husband's parents that I am remarrying that soon. It seems bizzarely self-centered to me. She has always said that her marriage to DH was a good one, it's not like they were on the verge of a breakup when he died.

Am I being a judgmental jerk? Is there a general concensus of how soon is "too soon" to jump back into the dating pool after the death of a spouse? I just keep feeling like if my DH went to a dating service a month after I died, it would be so hurtful both to me (in spirit) and to my kids and my family--like I didn't matter that much.

What do you all think?

Comments (36)