SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
budge1_gw

replacing a beloved pet

budge1
18 years ago

Hi everyone. I haven't posted in conversations b/f but am feeling the need for some objective advice and thought I would try the wise kitchen elders.

My father who is in his late 70's but is very youthful and active socially and athletically, lives alone just out of town. For the last 7 years he has had a chihuahua that has been his constant companion and best friend. My dad has always had trouble expressing his feelings but this pup got all the love and attention he could not show to people.

Well 2 nights ago the poor thing was run over and my dad is devastated. The only other time i have ever seen him cry was when his mother passed away.

He says he doesn't want another dog b/c he can't bear the thought of it being left behind when he dies.

I think he needs another pet and would like to wait a few weeks and get him one. He has always had animals and even when he had a busy medical practice kept a stable full of various animals that he took care of himself just for the love of it.

Now i could reassure him that we would take the dog if anything should happen to him the only problem being that he refused to train the last one. He treated it like a spoiled son. He papered his bedroom floor when it refused to go outside to pee. It wouldn't come when called (resulitng in the fatal accident) and it would nip my kids when it got aggravated.

I also am not too fond of chihuahuas.

So what do you think. Should I get him another one? Should I insist he train it? I thought about giving obedience lessons as a gift w/ the pup. And are there any breeds out there that he and i might both like? Something sort of chihuahua like but not so yippy and nervous?

TIA for any advice.

Comments (15)