SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ledmond

radiant floors yes, hard floors (???)

LE
12 years ago

Designing our final forever retirement home. Fairly convinced we want hydronic heated floors. Understand the heating system will be more efficient if flooring surface is concrete or tile, but concerned about the comfort aspects of such hard surfaces, esp as we get older.

Personally, I am very tempted by cork tiles. This is a small house, so we don't want a lot of flooring changes. Maybe 2 surfaces at most, (no carpet). I know I don't want a hard surface in the kitchen.

Other contenders could be engineered cork or wood. Seems that the R value of those would be about the same as for the thin cork.

So my question is for those who have had to make a similar decision. What was your thought process, where did you end up, and what were the results? (We don't have animals, dont wear outdoor shoes in the house, and are not generally hard on stuff, if you know what I mean.)

Also, although we have a long heating season in the Pacific NW, it is not often extremely cold on this side of the mountains. So I don't even know if the floors would feel perceptibly warm?

Any insights welcome!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022