SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

On the subject of money for the young ...

joann23456
14 years ago

Chloe, now age 8, found a "super cool" spy kit online tonight. The price is "only $20." "Will you buy it for me?"

I said I wouldn't buy it outright, but I would come up with chores that would let her buy it in a week or two. I told her that she'd end up working about five hours to earn it.

When she asked what she'd have to do, I said she could start by cleaning the stairs on the other side of the banister. We sweep the steps, but that little bit is always in need of cleaning. You would have thought I'd asked her to clean the toilet with her toothbrush!

She asked my sister (her mom) if *she* would give her the money, but my sister said she thought I had a good idea and that Chloe could earn the money.

It was funny, too, because Chloe *had* $20 (from Christmas) earlier today, but spent most of it on jewelry and makeup and hair stuff at Claire's. When I pointed that out to her, she said, "But I *really*, *really* wanted that stuff!"

Nothing like a little object lesson. She's annoyed with me, so I must have done something right.:)

Comments (12)