SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachelrachel_gw

Have You Ever Wanted to Up and Move???

rachelrachel
17 years ago

Warning - Long and gripey

Have you ever just wanted to up and move? About myself, I am mid-40s, never married and no children, in a so-so job. I live in the same area which I grew up in, went to college in, moved around a 20 mile radius in. My parent moved here 34 years ago because my great grandparents and great aunt and uncle lived here. Now my family has dwindled to my parents, 2 brothers, one SIL and 2 lovely neices. There is no guarantee that my brother and his family will be staying in this area though as my SIL is from Europe. Most of my friends have left this area and moved throughout the country.

I am just tired of living here. I bought a house 8 years ago (thank God) and like it a lot. But it's an old house, small, and in a below average neighborhood. I live in the DC area and it seems that unless you are really successful, or two-income, the nicer houses are unaffordable. Three years ago I had a screened-in porch built, and last March I remodeled my kitchen. It kills me that I may be planning to give these two things up. I do like my house but am tired of being in debt and worrying about money. I made a career change which did not end up being as successful as I had hoped.

Also, last August I had a flood which caused me to injure my foot --- plantar fasciitis caused by walking barefoot on a concrete slab for three weeks after the carpets were pulled. So I can't take walks which are the only exercise I love. And I dread having another flood. Somehow the flood changed everything, my sense of security, my enjoyment of this area.

Then I go on realtor.com and see all these truly wonderful houses, for much less, much more house, and much newer. I could sell this house, put down most of the equity, and have a mortgage a third to a half of what I pay now. Of course in these areas the jobs aren't as abundant and well-paying as here either.

I don't know if I'm fed up with my life, fed up with this area, or both. And if I move will I have the same problems somewhere else, far from the remaining friends and family I have.

Sorry to be so gripey, but please tell me about your experiences. Whether you have done this, was it a good move or something you regret.

TIA - Rachel

Comments (33)