SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

My neighbor turned me in to the cops!

14 years ago

Well, parking authority but it is still a citation.

So, we live on a culdesac. We are first house on busy corner. When we first got here 6yrs ago a neighbor came over to let me know about parking. Due to problems with patrons at park across the street, parking enforcement is great about citing folks that block our driveways, etc. So we called and go the lowdown on how you cannot block any driveway (even by an inch) and how many cars would actually legally fit in front of my house to the corner. We were told that no vehicle could be parked more than 72hrs in one spot.

We have been careful to follow the laws over the years when we park our boat out to clean up after a day at the lake, or now when we unpack our pop up trailer after camping. We realize that since we are on the corner we have to be considerate and have many times discussed with our neighbors how hard we try to not be a bother.

Well...... We call this guy the CC and R Guy. He is always in everyones business. He did not like where one family had their satellite installed, mowed anothers lawn when not home, asked another neighbor to move a different neighbors trash can cause he did not like where she keeps it, comments any time he drives by and we have our car parked out front ("Say, what are you starting a car lot?"). I just learned that years ago he actually moved another neighbors car. The dd had wrecked it and it was parked out front while they decided what to do. Homeowner literally came out one day and was told that he moved it for him. On another note, he is actually a nice guy, just tickes everyone off when he tells us how he wants us to do things.

As for his own actions, he often times comes home with his big truck and fishing boat and blocks the sidewalk while unloading, or has his workers park halfway into street/sidewalk when they carpool. And his dog. Well, she is trained to only walk on sidewalk, he likes to tell everyone that when we have our dogs on leash. He opens the door and lets her run around all our yards because "she never goes in the street".

So, Mon we had to take our pop up trailer to repair shop. I brought it home Tues night and parked it in front of house. The law has always been that you can do that but only for 72hrs. We planned to move the trailer back to storage lot Thursday night.

So Thurs morning I notice this guy parked across from my house using his cell phone. It was odd, he has NEVER done this before. I wondered if he was reporting my trailer because he mentioned to another neighor that we needed to move it. (that neighbor told us no one else cared and we could keep it there as long as we liked) Sure enough when my dh came home we had a $100 citiation on our trailer. They said a neighbor complained about a trailer.

So it turns out that back in 2007 there was a problem with truckers parking their rigs in front of homes for 72hrs. So they changed the law to state that all trailers must be attached to a vehicle to be parked. They deleted the laws regarding recreational vehicles and lumped them with big rigs using the term trailer. So as of 2007 no trailer of any kind can be parked on the street unless attached. We had no idea the law changed, no one in my neighborhood says they are aware of the change.

We checked with another neighbor and just yesterday the guy told this other neighbor's wife to come down and tell me to move the trailer. So we know he did it, he always does stuff like that. My dh is livid.

We called parking authority and they told us to contest the ticket. Explain how we did not know the law changed and it should be deleted. Actually, the captain called and we had a great talk about how unfair this change was to people and he said they usually check out neighbor complaints before giving a citation, especially because of situations where the homeowner did not know of the change. We went over some other specifics just to make sure we know all the parking laws.

So this morning I was out front. This guy drives by and stops to ask how it was going. I told him not good since I got a citation for my trailer. He acted like he had no idea what I was talking about. I said I was too ill to talk and walked away. He said something about being sorry he could not help and then drove away.

Last night dh went to his house to discuss but they did not answer the door, yet we knew they were home.

It just chaffs my hide that people can be so mean and act like they own a street.

Comments (22)

• 14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would definitely contest the ticket. Isn't it amazing how some people have so much time to be in everybody else's business? I've learned when I am in other people's business then I don't have to look in the mirror at my own crap - figuratively and literally.

• 14 years ago

How unbelievably rude of him. It would have been neighborly of him, or whoever it was, to speak directly to either you or your DH before having a knee-jerk reaction.
    Gheesh...and folks wonder why we're so happy we don't have any neighbors to speak of. Thank goodness we live on 7 acres in the woods with our nearest neighbor's house out of view.

• Related Discussions

Help me talk to my neighbor about watering!

Q

Comments (3)
    First thing is forget 1 Inch a Week Rule it does not exist and is a very bad idea. Correct watering is water when needed by letting the grass tell you when it needs a drink. In summer depending on temps, humidity, wind, soil conditions etc.. you may need to water every day or every other day. Or maybe every 10 to 14 days. There is no rule other than to water when the grass needs it, then lay down an inch of water. Does your neighbor like college or pro football? Might invite him over for burgers and a game one weekend. Or take him to a local high school game on a Friday night.
    ...See More

rude neighbor is also courtesy cop

Q

Comments (6)
    My heart just goes out to you. I am not familiar with courtesy officers but from your post, is he supposed to be some sort of a liason between management and the tenants? A go-to if tenants are having problems with each other? This is just shameful - he should know better. You have spoken to him "neighbor to neighbor". He sounds spiteful so I would not deal with him anymore one to one. I can suggest you speaking to your landlord about this. Don't know how successful you will be if he is working for them. What does your lease say about nuisance noise? Can you move? If that is an option, you can speak to management about moving you to another apartment of theirs or moving out of the complex all together. If all else fails, a lawyer might be able to help you. Just document everything - who you have spoken to, etc. Good luck.
    ...See More

What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?

Q

Comments (0)
    I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine on his small 22” mower as mine. Last season he told me his son hit a rock that bent the blade throwing it out of balance. He straightened the blade well enough to finish last season. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> I wanted to see if the bent blade and balance issue could possibly be related to it locking. IMO, the flywheel key s/h sheared to save the motor. Causing it not to run until the key was replaced to put it back in time. I pulled the head and the cylinder had deep scores deep on the carb side. That was leading me to pull the carb until I saw approx a 1/16” layer of grit due to no filter. At that point I felt the grit entering the cyl caused the scores. I forced the piston out of the locked position and it turned fair but I knew it was a parts eng at that point. I stripped it of the spares I wanted and gave the bulk to a friend that had 2-3 of the engines needing parts. Do you feel the grit and low very dirty oil was the Killer? I felt the crank probably looked bad due to the condition of the “Low Dirty Oil”. Splitting the case was out of my time frame after seeing the cyl. LOL! No Pics due to not being able to post 1 or 4 but once vs a Red X. All the problems are since the software switch and switching to AT&T U-Verse Broad Band (about the same time). There were indications that my modem was switching Off/On that a Tech seems to have resolved. All of my past and present Pics attached were .jpg extensions. What extensions are working for you?
    ...See More

My neighbor is turning his yard into a dump and the other is worse.

Q

Comments (3)
    I planted Arborvitae trees last year (side yard) and the deer stripped them during the winter. In the back there is a line of mature trees but the junk is still clearly visible. About 30 feet from that line I have mature trees so the area is pretty shaded. Between the deer and the shade I am pretty limited on landscape choices for that area. I am pretty sure one of the neighbors is going to hate the fence. The reason- he usually collects a big pile of weeds and fallen twigs and every once in awhile he sets these on fire right at the property line. Interestingly, he does this late at night, goes into his house and lets it burn through the night. He will have to find another way to get rid of this stuff unless he chooses to set my new fence on fire. Fence permit should be ready today. Waiting for the call.
    ...See More
  • 14 years ago

Shannon; I think your neighbor sucks.

Does he know what is going on with your health?

Contest the ticket.

• 14 years ago

I second that one, roselvr. Shannon, your neighbor sucks.

• 14 years ago

Sometimes I think how nice it would be if everyone had to conform to a certain standard in our neighborhood, other times I'm grateful for the freedoms we enjoy.

Good luck!

• 14 years ago

Hmmm...is there a leash law in your town? ...

What a jerk your neighbor is. And then to have the nerve to ask how things are going...double jerk. I would hope it would be because he felt guilty, but it probably was just to find out whether the police did his bidding. :( Do they think if they hide away one day that you all will just forget about it? Some open communication is coming their way, whenever it happens. Hiding behind a door won't keep them safe forever, unless they're so scared they really decide to hide away in which case at least they won't be bothering you again :)

I reported a 'neighbor' to the police a couple of years ago when we discovered he'd grotesquely chainsawed the big multiple trunks of a filbert tree of ours *well into our own property* supposedly so it wouldn't hang into his yard (there was nothing there that it interfered with, but he has the right to cut anything hanging over his fence). Completely destroyed a little arching-branch haven our daughter had had that she loved to go back and sit in and read. Jerk. He also tossed a beer can into our yard. We are not that kind of people and the neighborhood had never been that kind of place before he moved in. (He's since moved out; I believe he lost the house). He had the nerve to say to the officer "I wish they'd called me first before calling the police" -- after massacring (sp) *our* tree without talking to *us* first!

Neighbors are mind-boggling sometimes. We have neighbors now who also just *refuse* to follow leash laws. They're a young couple whose well-to-do parents (on both sides) also live closeby, rather well off and I'm sure they've never had to abide by any rules they didn't want to before, iykwim. Their dog (a large mixed-breed rescue with psychological problems) runs at us, barking, whenever she sees us in *our* yard. She has to be screamed at by the husband or wife to make her stop (since they can't rein her in). If that dog ever harms my daughter I'm going Mama Bear like they've never seen before. I'm about one lunge away from reporting them to the police anyway. They know the law; they just choose to ignore it and make us *very* uncomfortable in our own yard. Why should I wait until the seemingly inevitable happens?

It would be similarly horrible if your neighbor's dog ever did anything to your family. If there's a leash law, it should be enforced...if he doesn't like it, he can come talk to you about it :)

• 14 years ago

I am SO glad I live in the country! lol.

You certainly need to contest the ticket, and also try to talk to the neighbor again. If he's not a violent person I'd rip him to pieces verbally and tell him I bet he was the Hall Monitor in elementary school!

I'd also tell him that ALL the neighbors are onto him and they are sick and tired of being told what and when to do something.

Oh, and if he ever moves another's vehicle, I'd go to the cops and charge him with theft. :)

• 14 years ago

I don't know exactly what terminology that parking law uses, but you should ask the police why it went into effect--are they trying to make sure there's adequate visibility and room for vehicles to maneuver without possibly hitting something? Or are they trying to keep work trucks and not-so-perfect-looking vehicles from ruining some people's "perfect neighborhood"? Really, I don't understand the fuss even over rigs in front of their drivers' homes for 72 hours. Those rigs are paying somebody's mortgage!

This guy just sounds like a creep, not very neighborly at all. Does this guy have a job, or does he look out the window constantly, checking out the neighborhood? I'd tell him he's free to make the neighborhood conform to whatever standard he likes--all he has to do for that pleasure is to purchase every neighbor's home! (OK, not very helpful, I know... But the next time you see the dog loose, I would call animal control. They'll send somebody out to have a talk with him. You never know what will make a trained dog still bolt across a street--a bunny, a squirrel, a raccoon, whatever. And that could lead to disaster.)
    He and his wife are wusses, to boot, not answering the door.

• 14 years ago

That really stinks. I would contest the ticket. I firmly believe what goes around comes around, and your neighbor will eventually get his. Karma is a b*tch!

How are you feeling Shannon? One of my friends at work recently finished all her treatments for BC. Her hair is growing in nice and she feels and looks terrific. She is so happy to have the treatments behind her. I hope you are feeling ok otherwise.

• 14 years ago

I'm all fired up at your jerk of a neighbor right now. Funny how it's all ok for him to do whatever. I've always lived out in the country and never had to deal with the rules and regulations but his dog running all over creation (even if it's just the other yards)... keep him in your own yard or get a leash!

I'd also contest it. It would've been so easy for him to just knock on your door and talk to you about it vs. this. Jerk, jerk, jerk.

Sorry you're dealing with this in general but I'm sure it doesn't help with everything else going on right now. What a pain. I hope you're feeling better!

• 14 years ago

What an idiot!

This is when my wheels start turning and I begin plotting. DH always stops me. I'm pretty sure he's the only reason I haven't gone to jail.

• 14 years ago

This thread really irks me. It's one thing to keep it parked there every day; and heck, even then, it's on your property; who's business is it? Most people keep them behind fences where I used to live.

We have a boat (Bass tracker) - I'm waiting for the day that we won't be able to park it on the side of the house. I know it bothers my neighbor.. heck, it bothers me. No clue why hub doesn't keep it in the garage because it does fit.

Anyway, my hub drives a car carrier. In the 2 years we've lived here, he's never brought the tractor home to clean it & when he does, I'm sure people won't like it.

Hub's gram lives in Coral Gables; you can't even park a pick up truck over night outside & if you do, you have to go to the township to get a permit or something to that affect.

The fact here is that this trailer does not live on the property. I don't doubt the neighbors know she parks it off site. With all that she has on her plate, you'd think people would have some understanding. The neighbor should thank what ever God they pray to that they are not in Shannon's shoes. I've told my own neighbor that back when we had snow.

• 14 years ago

I would snatch the dog the next time he roamed into my yard and then - depending on my mood - either call the neighbor to come and retrieve his dog or take the dog to animal control as a stray (the collar and ID would probably slip off during the trip).

• 14 years ago

Everyone on our street gets along which is really fortunate. We watch each others houses, take trash when someone is on vacation. Heck, whenever there is a holiday we all figure who is home and who is not and join forces to help out. It is really nice. Each year we have a block party and it is next weekend.

The only problem there has ever been is this one neighbor who is actually really, really nice. He for some reason just thinks he is the czar and in charge of everthing. He is always there to help but sometimes he is in the way. Like when we sold our boat at our yard sale (oh, when we have a sale he likes to stop by and say "what, another sale?", we only have one a year if at all). He came down and proceeded to speak with the buyer about how to use the boat, where to go, what to do, etc. You would think he was selling the boat. Our other neighbor came over too but he was helping us hook it up and assisted my dh with testing the motor.

This guy just has an opinion about everything and instead of telling the homeowner he nags and nags the other neighbors about what he wishes the other owner would do. Or he will tell other to do the things he wants done. Today he was looking for pipe tape because one yard has a funky sprinkler head. And no, he did not ask the owner if he could fix it.

So here is the update.

Last night dh went to the czar, whos own truck was blocking the sidewalk because it is so long. Dh told him he might want to pull his truck in because it is violating parking laws and probably ADA laws. He told him that we got a ticket for our trailer and that someone in our court turned us in. Our neighbor asked why dh was telling him this. Dh told him it was because everyone thinks he did it. Guy says that is BS. Dh comes home.

It was a nice evening and other neighbors started coming out to chat like we all do. This guy comes all the way to my neighbors house to pull her aside and tell her that we are mad at him. She had to answer the phone so she could not chat more. Then he goes back to chat with his direct neighbor, then another. Eventually he heads back to us. He says that he did not do it and since we "acused" him of doing this he is going to find out who did. I told him we did not acuse him at all. I told him that because of his past behavior, his current complaints made over the course of several days, his being in front of my house on phone an hour before ticket... it is simply guilt by association. I told him that maybe he did not do it, but we all have no other choice because of his constant medeling. He shouted something about how when he comes around the corner he is going to hit the trailer (it is no wider than his own truck). My dh blasted back telling him that if he would not fly around the corner he would not have a problem. That was when his wife walked by with her dogs on leash. She kept going. I told him he just needs to stop his behavior and knock it off. He left.

We spoke with several others some more. What is really sad it that if he really did not do it, everyone thinks he did. Everyone said they just want him to knock it off.

So.... this morning my dh is out front. The wife drives up to chat. She said she was sorry for the way her dh acted. She said she asked if he did it and he said no. (Isn't it interesting that his own wife had to ask if he did it?!) My dh explained why everyone thinks he did it and she said she knows he medels but that he does not like to get into fights with anyone. My dh told her that he may not like to fight but he is a #$@ stirer instead. If he has a problem he needs to tell the person, not tell everyone else. She totally understood where we are coming from.

We told our immediate neighbor that we would feel bad if we found out he did not actually do it, and then have to apologize. But our apology would come with a note that he needs to change his behavior because that is why he is in this trouble to begin with. Know what she said? She said, "But we all know he did it!" I just laughed.

As for this guy looking for pipe tape. He asked my son, who was playing outside, if we had any. Dh told me to take some over because that is what we would normally do. We are not going to start some war. We have to live here and are not going to let a medeling neighbor ruin it. We are going to live like always. And next time he does something I think we will all be more active about telling him to knock it off.

As for the dog thing. His dog is a well trained, very sweet dog. She is old but the kids love her. But it does annoy everyone when she pees on our flowers and goes in our garages. So last night when my dh mentioned that this guy violates laws all the time, especially with his dog running around, hopefully he listened.

It is so easy for a street to get into a fight and everyone not get along. I think we are all determined to be friends and I think with all of us staying on top of him he will stay in check. Sometimes it takes one family to stand up to get all the others to stand together.

On a funny note, our direct neighbor's dog poops on our side of our shared grass area. We just flick it back to her side and laugh. She is a super neighgor and this is how we have decided to deal with it. We don't think she sees him do it, probably thinks it is amazing how he somehow only poops on her side. lol

• 14 years ago

I knew there was a reason I never ever want to live in a neighborhood. Shannon thank you for reminding me exactly why I feel that way. Absolutely hate any kind of drama and don't want to have ANY aggravation. It sounds like while you say your neighbors are great for the most part, in reality, you do have aggravation with them at times.

The suggestion to nab your neighbor's his dog for whatever purpose isn't a good one. I wouldn't drop to his level, nor would I take your anger on the owner out on a innocent animal. Very bad karma.

• 14 years ago

work, totally agree. Hope it did not sound like I would. Dog is great, it just annoys everyone that he acts like his dog is perfect when it is not.

Related to our dog and this guy. He is such a busy body that he told us he has actually csme down and checked on our dog in the past. What!!!! When pup was younger and outside when we were at work, he claims our pup would bark and bark. So he felt he had to check it out. That is fine cause what if there was a burglar. But what is funny is my immediate neighbor's dog barks more than mine and this guy never checks on hers. We have asked the neighbors and they all like that when they hear her's or mine bark it means someone strange is hanging around and they look out their windows. And now that mine is almost 2 and knows his home better, he rarely barks at all. Like I said, this guy is just annoying. The gal next to me just got a new pup as her other is aging. So I imagine he too will go through a bark stage. I better make sure miser nosey realizes which pup is barking. Or maybe not, maybe he will get too nosey and actually get that nose snapped at???

Yes, neighbors can be a pain. Like I said, ours are great, just need to reel this one in a little.

• 14 years ago

We don't have CC&Rs in our neighborhood, which is good & bad, but we DO have a nosey neighbor, too. He doesn't stir stuff up but gawd, he's in everyone's business! Drives DH batty, since he works out of our garage, and our n'bor is always peeking over the fence. He's always keeping tabs on who is where, what cars park at our place (and heaven forbid they park in front of his house), who comes to our house, what UPS has delivered, who's dog is barking, when the meter readers come around, what branches we're cutting off our trees, etc, etc, etc.

I told DH that we should be greatful that he's got his thumb on the pulse of the neighborhood. It could be worse, he could be like the witch who's property touches a tiny corner of our back yard. We replaced a rotting fence with a nice, new lattice topped cedar fence. She moved the old metal storage shed in her yard over so it blocks that tiny part of her yard that butts up to ours. So we can't see into her yard, or rather, vice versa...since we can still see into her yard from other parts of our yard, or if we stand on our deck.

She yells at our dogs when we let them out in the back yard and she's in hers. She gets mad when we water our yard because once our sprinkler hit her shed and she nearly came over the fence in rage. And recently she yelled at the guy who was cutting the lawn in our back yard!

She's just a mean, sour woman and I am so glad she's not our next door neighbor. The kid who lives behind us, his property backs up to hers and she's just as mean to him as to us. So I'd rather put up with our busybody neighbor than a beeotch like her any day.

• 14 years ago

"nice guys" don't go around trying to micro manage everyone else's life. OTOH, control freaks live for it.

I'd avoid *any* contact with him.

• 14 years ago

"The only problem there has ever been is this one neighbor who is actually really, really nice."

I don't think he's "nice". I think he's passive- aggressive, and they're manipulative and twisted.

I do, however, understand that you have to get along with your neighbors, and for that I give you credit. There's no sense in starting a war that will go on forever, but I would be very cautious when dealing with him. I truly believe you need to keep him at arm's length.

• 14 years ago

pesky- Maybe our guys are related. He sounds so much like our guy. Every time we are outside he has to stop and ask what we are doing, where we are going. Then he has to tell us how we should do it or where we should go. He is a valuable resourse but only when it is solicited by us. Our other neighbors do same but not like he does.

Mrsmarv- you are so right. Even his wife said he is not one to fight. But he sure likes to meddel. Again, we all just have to not let him keep doing this.

• 14 years ago

We also have a neighbor who meddles with everyone in our cul-de-sac. Nice guy, but in everyone's business all the time. I consider him a valuable resource and a good neighborhood watch man. He chats with everyone here, and, frankly, we all chat with each other ABOUT each other!

If you can't beat him, join him. Much nicer being neighborly than watching every step you take. And I'd take him at his word: If he says he didn't do it, let it go at that.

• 14 years ago

My closest neighbor is mentally ill. When he is off his medication, he wanders around on our property at night. He works on our fences, lowering the wire so the deer can get out. (They already get out just fine.) We have a free flowing spring below our properties where people fill up water jugs and have for years. He just KNOWS the county is trying to shut it down. They aren't. Off medication, he develops large conspiracy plots in his head regarding our public officials and has landed himself in jail a few times. Then he goes back on his medications and is just fine for years at a time. Once he slept at the spring for months, protecting it. Generally clean shaven, he looked like a mountain man then.

He is basically harmless though. He's been our neighbor for 21 years and I just stay on his good side. Luckily we both live on acreage but he has our phone number. Each time he has gone to jail, he spams us with collect phone calls, which I never accept. Luckily he has never held that against us.

He is a very hard worker and since he brought his mom to live with him, he has been much better. She is 90 and works as hard as he does. I saw her outside weed eating last week! I'm in awe of her.