SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve4611

First Time Laminate Flooring Installer

steve4611
13 years ago

I'm finally to install laminate flooring for the first time. I have adequately prepared the plywood sub-floor and am ready to start putting down the planks. I've done my research on how to properly install the floor and just like any other new project I've started in the past, I thought it would be a breeze. After laying the first row, I started to run into some fundamental squaring problems.

The problem: The quarter inch spacers. I bought some plastic spacers from the hardware store to maintain the required 1/4 inch spacing. The problem I ran into is that there is do much of a distance between the bottom of the drywall and the sub-floor so when I slide the plank up against the spacers, it only moves the bottom of the spacers into the footers.

I then attempted to cut some of my own spacers and instead of attempting to reference off the drywall, I referenced off the footers instead. The spacers were really small however and were not staying put. Because the spacers were moving around, the rows I laid were not square. Does anyone have a good solution for me?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Comment (1)