SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
butterflygardner

Old wood Flooring, old slab

butterflygardner
16 years ago

I have a friend who redid a 40's or 50's house with pier and beam. She pulled out 2 types of solid wood flooring, original to the house (and a later addition). I don't know what types of wood, i haven't seen them, i just know they didn't match each other.

I have a 70's built house on a slab. The slab is about 6" above the ground in the front, and 2 feet above the ground in the back. There would not be enough flooring to do all of the house, but i could get most of it done.

I have learned today that solid wood and slabs don't seem to mix well, but unfornately most of what i have found has been either new construction and/or new flooring. I have old flooring, on an old slab. Does that help at all?

I am interested in your advice, thoughts, and links. I've never thought much about flooring, other than to vaguely hope for wood in the future.

I haven't really thought as far ahead as installation yet- whether i would attempt it, or have to hire someone- i'm more interested in thoughts on how the slab and wood would go. I do have to make a decision in the next few days, and not hold her up, if she decides to try to sell or give it away to someone else, if i can't use it.

thanks in advance.

Comment (1)