SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smallen_gw

Possible to lower fan speed when on fan setting?

smallen
15 years ago

Hello! New member here and I have a question that maybe some of you can help me with. I have rheem branded AC/Furnace (80PS07EER/ Compressor: 14AJL48A01 R-410a system), and I would like to run in fan only mode more often since the winter here in Houston is mild to say the least. I want to move air in the house, but when in fan mode the fan runs at the highest speed of the blower motor (3 speed motor). I tried switching the leads from the motor from "high" connected to cool to "low" connected to cool, and "high" connected to heat instead of the "med" setting which is normally connected to heat on the blower circuit board. These changes do adjust the fan speed when either "heat" or "cool" is called, but when set of fan or the "circ" setting of my stat the blower defaults back to full speed.

Is there a way to change that fan default to one of the lower speeds? I think I'm pretty handy, so I should be able to find my way around the circuit board, but so far...no luck.

Any help would be very appreciated as we have only run our furnace (nat gas) one time this season (that was when it got down to a frigid, for Houston, 30F)so air seems to get a little "stale" when I go a while without running the fan. I should mention, the reason I want to lower the fan speed is because at "high" speed it uses about 900 watts, but at "low speed it's closer to 300-400 watts...almost 1/3rd less electricity used and at $0.129 per kWh it adds up.

Thanks again-

Sean

Comments (9)