SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizdc_gw

Someone had glued down particle board in my house

lizdc
16 years ago

I am having Hardwood installed upstairs in my 100 year old house. At some point someone had put in particle board and installed carpet in the house. The house had been redone in the 80"s after a fire. I believe that the house was flipped at that time (I have found out all of this after buying my house from neighbors). The installer and I knew the particle board needed to come out. Well it took them 5 hours to remove it. They had to take a electric saw and cut a chunk. Then they would pry it out with something that looked like a garden spade. It was a mess. Under the particle board was the original hardwood. They were a mess but solid as a rock. They had some smoke damage (only about 2 feet) but mostly were just very beat up. Including someone had painted them red but left the area down when they did it (large square in middle which had not been painted). Why in the world did they glue down particle board. Sign. I have no idea how much more this is going to cost me since the installer didn't talk price yesterday when the project expanded. Well it is almost over. The floors are amazing. I had been thinking I would in a few years have them down downstairs to replace the two kinds of flooring in living and dining but now that I know what it will take I am not sure.

The things that people do to a house.

Comments (4)