SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marcus_b

Replacing gas boiler

marcus_b
14 years ago

Hi--I'm new to this forum, but I hope someone can give me some advice. I bought a new house (built circa 1920) here in Milwaukee this past June and, unfortunately, the 30+ year-old gas boiler has bitten the dust. Fortunately, my wife & two young children are out of town, and it's unseasonably warm here (highs in the 30s predicted for the whole week). Even so I'm worried about freezing pipes, so I'm trying to make a decision quickly.

I've had one estimate so far from One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning. They're recommending a 195K BTU boiler for my roughly 2,500 square foot house. They've given me two quotes:

80% efficiency: $6,879

97% efficiency: $10,961

Both quotes include labor, all plumbing and pipes that connect directly to the boiler, and 3 zoned thermostats (1 for each floor of my house, including the basement). I'm leaning toward the high efficiency option, particularly because I can apparently get about $1900 in tax credits for the state of WI and (mostly) the feds if I go that route.

I'm waiting to hear from another contractor who was recommended by a friend. Any suggestions or advice? Do the quotes seem reasonable?

Comments (2)