SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freckless

unusual wood floor installation . . . potential problems?

freckless
16 years ago

Hi All,

I haven't been a member of this forum for long, but it has already proven invaluable!

We're doing a complete renovation of our NYC apartment and we're at the point where we need to decide whether to refinish the solid-wood parquet floors or install new wood (hardwood or engineered) floors. We're on the 37th floor and we have concrete slab floors. There is currently 3/4 inch solid oak parquet tiles which have been solidly glued down since the 60's. The tiles are in good shape, but the floor (and underlying slab) has some significant highs and lows.

My GC wants to trowel self-leveling cement directly on to the parquet, then install a vapor barrier, then nail wood flooring into the parquet. I have spoken with several of his other clients and they say that their floors have held up well. Nonetheless, I'm concerned. Should I be? What are the obvious pitfalls?

One solution could be to trowel the self-leveling cement on to the parquet and then float engineered wood over it. Any possible problems with this method?

Another solution would be to scape up the existing parquet in an attempt to save some precious ceiling height, deal with the glue residue (don't I sound like a pro!), then trowel on self-leveling cement, and finally float engineered wood. Am I getting closer? Are there possible issues with the glue residue reacting with the self-leveling cement?

The final and most expensive solution would be to remove the parquet, level the concrete, attach plywood subfloors (how should they be attached) and then nail into the plywood. But this is the most labor intensive and I'm not sure it produces a better result than just floating the wood.

Thanks Thanks!!!!

Comments (5)