SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

What Type of Kitchen Table/Chairs Do You Have & Where Did You Buy

cupofkindness
18 years ago

My fairly-insignficant-in-the-scheme-of-things problem is this: my family outgrew our kitchen table a few years ago and I'm having a hard time replacing it for a table that seats ten that will still fit in a kitchen breakfast nook. I need a table about 84-90" long, 36"-42" wide a trestle or double pedestal base is preferable, though ordinary legs are fine too. The only extensive collection of suitable tables that I've found are on-line, alledgedly made by the Amish, and are custom, that is, made to order. This link below shows an example of the type of table I'm considering.

In any case, has anyone had any experience with purchasing tables or kitchen chairs from an internet source? What about a particular sticks and bricks store? Can you recommend any particular brand or advise against a certain manufacturer? I believe that you get what you pay for, so I'm steering away from Target/Walmart products. But I don't want to spend a small fortune either, so I'm also steering clear of upscale furniture stores.It seems that you cannot walk into a store and find really large tables unless they are of dining room scale, but even then, dining chairs that match the table are often really big too, so you can only seat eight at most dining tables anyway. Chairs that I'm looking at are bow back chairs, because the chair back isn't formed by the rear set of legs. My children rock in their chairs (they aren't supposed to but they do), so the chairs need to be hardwood and well-constructed. Also, my favorite unfinished wood furniture store (and the only one around) is closing, so unfinished isn't an option. Plus, I don't want to buy a project, that is, the task of finishing the table and chairs. My house is filled with half-finished projects and I don't want any more. You know, if I didn't care what my house looked like, I'd love to buy those cheap, plastic 5-wheel rolling office chairs (with pneumatic lift and springy backs) that come in a rainbow of colors. I could color code each child with a chair. And no more chair feet scraping the floor. But, that's not going to happen....

The kitchen table needs to seat ten, four on each side and one on each end. As such the chairs need to be of a smaller scale, no wider than 18" each.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom Amish Tables

Comments (24)