SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
albryant

Very new to heat/air - help me decide how to heat/cool attic

albryant
15 years ago

I've just started reading around this forum and am not sure how to approach our problem. We have a 1.5 story cape cod. The downstairs is 1444 sq ft and was built in the 1940s. The current heating system is gas heat/electric air and is 10 years old.

We have 353 sq ft of attic space that was converted to living space by a previous owner. They put in a simple window heater/cooler which is very efficient at heating and cooling, but because it isn't a permanent system, we don't get credit for the square footage (we're doing a refinance now).

We may or may not sell in a couple of years, and would like to consider putting a permanent heating/cooling source up there for resale purposes if we'd get the money back at sale.

Someone suggested a mini split, someone else said run ductwork for a traditional separate unit for the upstairs only, and still someone else said run the ductwork and buy a new unit for the entire two floors.

Suggestions? We can access all of the attic space around the walls of the attic conversion, but I don't know if that's enough for ductwork?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022