SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessie21or2

vinyl on really old, slanted, uneven floors

jessie21
12 years ago

I am trying to quickly find something for our rental house (student rental) for the kitchen floor. It currently has ripped, gouged, approx. 30 year old vinyl...long story why it wasn't replaced sooner.

This is a very old house and we are updating it somewhat but don't have the kind of time or money or rip out the floors and rebuild to correct the sagging (which is pretty pronounced.) The guy doing the work for me is suggesting I use 18 x 18 or 12 x 12 glue down squares of vinyl, possibly commercial, which he says will last longer than sheet and that has the advantage of being able to replace individual tiles that may get damaged by a burn or tear.

I like that idea but am concerned that the uneven floor, the fact that it's not air conditioned or well insulated (meaning there is a great deal of shrinkage/expansion that happens with heat, moisture or lack thereof... )may make sheet vinyl a better idea. I'm afraid the tiles will not stay together.

Plus, honestly, I'm tired of looking for materials and found a sheet that will be fine and that I can get in a couple of days. It's Tarkett FiberFloor Fresh Start.

My question? Can you please just do this for me? No, kidding. Is there a reasonably priced (i.e., cheapish) vinyl tile square out there that is readily available and that will induce me to go look at it and maybe pay a bit more for it?

Comments (4)