SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

Just a 'Mom Thing' . . . Teenage DD Epiphany

12 years ago

. . .moved this over from the other side (and very embarrassed about it, too!)

As many of you here know, my DD (our youngest) will be heading off to college out of state next month. For all of you who have gone before me, you know that this summer before college can be a tempestuous time, especially for girls! The realization that they'll soon heading off on their own to the unknown college life is both liberating . . . and cause for their nastiest, hormonal side to manifest itself without warning . . . again and again. To say that it's been an up-and-down summer would be an understatement (LOL)! OK, I already sense many heads nodding in agreement. You remember!

So, tonight she just threw me for a loop. We were doing the dishes after dinner when Emily suddenly turns to me and says, "Mom, thank you so much for being such a great mom to me. Because you were always taking me to museum exhibits and let me look through your art books whenever I wanted, I now love art, and paleontology, and history. I'm such a nerd, but I love 'Me'. Thank you! And thanks for buying me lots of boy toys as well as dolls. I'm the only one of my girlfriends who actually had her own set of Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Star Wars movies, spy books,trucks and cars. And thanks for reading to me from forever because I love, love, love to read! And teaching me to love cooking . . . although I still think gardening is soooo boring. And thanks for playing Jimi Hendrix and Lionel Richie and the Beach Boys and Sinatra, and Nat King Cole and Santana and the Stones while I was growing up. I was born in the 90's but I don't much like that music. You opened my eyes to so such awesome old music. So thanks Mom. You're the best!"

Part of me was dumbfounded. Part was deliriously happy. And part was wondering if she'd robbed a bank this afternoon and was just trying to score some good points before the police arrived! Of course, I was happy to hear that I was temporarily back on my "pedestal" although I know I'll probably be off it again dozens of times in the coming years . . . or days (LOL). Still, isn't it great when they actually appreciate you again? It was very humbling and painful to fall off that pedestal back when she was 13. It makes me really happy to hear that good old mom isn't so dorky/embarrassing/ boring after all.

Are you been-there-done-that moms still nodding your heads? Is this the start of a new phase in our lives or just a temporary upswing? Whatever it is, I'm enjoying it while it lasts!

Moms of younger teen girls, take heart . . . there's hope yet!

Lynn

Comments (15)