SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
honeyhaze

Floating Engineered Hardwood Expansion Q.

honeyhaze
15 years ago

My husband and I are installing floating engineered hardwood on most of the first floor of our home, about 1100 square feet. Some of the flooring went over vinyl, some is going over marble, and some is going over existing hardwood. The existing floors are all in horrible shape and would otherwise have to be removed completely, so that's why we're doing the float. We're using an under padding and gluing the pieces together for additional stability.

So far it's been working well, but we have a question about future expansion. My husband's been leaving an expansion space around all sides, as recommended. Our baseboards will be installed over this to conceal the gap. There are some areas, however, where it's impractical for us to leave an expansion space: a sliding glass door in one area and the doorways that transition into our ceramic tiled kitchen.

Is it safe to forgo the expansion space in a few small doorway areas? We're doing a muggy summer installation and the first floor of our house has a large dry basement underneath it, so I can't see buckling being an issue in these areas in the future. But we're concerned that forgoing the expansion space in some areas would contribute to future buckling anyways.

We're talking about maybe 5% of the total flooring being sans expansion space and the rest would have healthy room to grow.

Thanks,

Mariah

Comments (3)