Mom Passed Nov. 9, 2009

beckyboo67

Hello,

My mom died almost a year ago and my sister and I are still grieving. I think of my mom everyday with love and sadness because I miss her so much. She was such a good person to her church and friends and family. I don't understand how my dad could start dating after only 8 months of her death and be so giddy about it and brag to me about it. He and my mom were married 63 years and he just took his wedding band off as not to upset this woman he is dating. It kills my soul to see that ring gone, oh he is 84 year old so naturally we thought my dad would spend his remaining days with his children and grandchildren and enjoy them. The opposite has happened. He rarely calls or see my children anymore. We were such a close family but then again my mom obviously was the glue that held it all together. It would kill her to know everything has fallen apart like this. I feel like an orphan at 43 years because my dad is no longer involved in my life. Do I have a right to feel bad about all this? Or am I just still grieving my mom. I am just so angry with my dad.

Thank you all so much : )

Becky

SaveComment2Like
Comments (2)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

I'm so sorry you lost your beloved mother.

You've got 2 things going on here:

1. You've lost your mother.

2. You're hurt & somewhat offended that your father is going on without her.

Assuming that your father hasn't fallen under the spell of a 23-year-old Playboy centerfold....

I'd say get on your knees & thank your guardian fairy angel godmother that your father is healthy & happy & has someone special in his life.

You've lost a mother, but he's lost a life partner, one he's had for most of his life.

So many times, when a long-married person dies, the other spouse just fades away & is gone within one to two years,
& at age 84, 8 months is a very long time to grieve & a very long time to live unhappily alone.

Try to separate your grief from your desire to have your dad become a living monument to someone who is gone. (Would your mother want him to be a monument, or would she want him to find love again?)

Give him your blessing, & be grateful that you have a vibrant, happy, alive father rather than one you have to carry around on your shoulders because he's too immobilized by grief to continue on his own.

I with you the best.

Save    
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
socks

I agree with everything Sylvia said. Don't be angry with your father. (Anger is a part of grief, so often loved ones often find someone to be mad at whether they deserve it or not.) You have your own family and life to live, so at 84 if he has found something that makes him happy, be glad for it (unless she's a gold digger or someone inappropriate). It isn't that he is rejecting your dear mother.

My mother has been gone since 2003, and I still grieve and miss her. I don't think that ever stops for some of us, but the emotional pain does lessen. It's so hard to lose a mother--someone who has always been there. I understand and sympathize with your grief. Have you and your sister done anything to memorialize her--planted a tree, made a photo album for the family to enjoy, make an annual tradition of a meal at her favorite restaurant, donated to her favored charities? Something like that can be comforting.

Best wishes,

Susan

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Housekeeping What's That Sound? 9 Home Noises and How to Fix Them
Bumps and thumps might be driving you crazy, but they also might mean big trouble. We give you the lowdown and which pro to call for help
Full Story
Most Popular My Houzz: Hip Midcentury Style for a Mom's Backyard Cottage
This 1-bedroom suite has everything a Texas mother and grandmother needs — including the best wake-up system money can't buy
Full Story
Farm Your Yard My Houzz: An Urban Farm and Animal Sanctuary in Austin
Four dogs, four chickens, a duck and a kitten find refuge in a photographer’s updated home
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More