SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barb5_gw

Co-signing a lease for DS?

barb5
10 years ago

DS wants to rent an apartment with 2 friends. Today they found one that they like. They met with the landlord who said that he wants the parents to co-sign the lease.

DS has good taste in friends, but we have not met the friends. One will be a senior in college, and the other will be starting graduate school. DS is starting a job.

I don't mind co-signing and covering DS, but will I be responsible for the two friends, if they fail to pay rent? And by signing, could I be held responsible for any damage to the apartment?

I never had to have my parents co-sign a lease when I was a graduate student renting an apartment with 2 other graduate students. And we weren't required to co-sign a lease when DD rented an apartment with 2 friends, one of whom was a graduate student at the time.

I'm unsure of what obligations I am assuming by co-signing the lease. If DS needed help to cover his obligations, I would help him, but I am unwilling to cover for the two others he will be renting the apartment with. I would love to know if this is now standard procedure for landlords, and if any of you have had any experience in this. What should I do?

Comments (15)