SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bumblebeezgw

What Clothing Do You Not Own?

Annie D's organization and other threads again makes me realize I don't own some of what many consider essentials: black pants and windbreakers.
The windbreaker comment reminded of a boyfriend 25 years ago who wanted to borrow one for a run in the rain. He was astounded that I didn't own any and that I barely knew what it was.

I've never liked black and when I married 18 years ago, dh said he didn't like black, so that was that. Hardly any black clothes at all in the closet now.

I do have plenty of cardigans, jackets/coats in all sorts of styles including rain, lots of pants, and more boots than anyone here probably has.

Comments (24)

• rosesstink
    10 years ago

Interesting question. I don't own capris or any other length that isn't obviously shorts or pants. To me any length that ends between mid thigh and ankle looks silly. I stopped wearing skirts and dresses about a decade ago. Don't miss them at all.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

My closet is missing the following: ballgowns, caftans, shorts, capris, sweat pants - I don't even own a pair of real heels.

I apparently live in jeans, khakis, Polos and Easy Spirit. I do have outfits for various dressy events but even then my 'heels' are only 1".

• Related Discussions

Have you made your own Clothes Detergent?

Q

Comments (15)
    "Fabric softeners contains fats and/or oils to function as a lubricant to make fabric fibers slippery for a softer feel to the touch. Vinegar does not have a lubricating effect." That's somewhat true, fabric softeners have chemicals(QUATS) which coat fabrics so they feel softer. Vinegar removes any detergent residue which will make them softer, since you shouldn't use fabric softeners(including dryer sheets) on 100% polyester vinegar is a good substitute. https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080718154912AASU3ja
    ...See More

Do you own this stool? If not, what do you think?

Q

Comments (10)
    I posted this stool photo as a suggestion for remodel-mama a few weeks ago. As far as I know, no one owns it here. I love it! (Obviously.) Just the right combination of comfy/contemporary/industrial/vintage. Versatile. Cool. On top of everything else, a good price! Seems like it is worth waiting for, but you have to stop looking if you order them. I have two sets of stools, and still don't have the ones I originally loved, because they were on backorder for so long and I gave up waiting. Shoulda kept waiting.
    ...See More

Dish cloths & towels - what do you do with them?

Q

Comments (46)
    Oh he's so cute! He'll be a great towel critter. Congrats on the new countertop, post pics when it's all in! I probably should have picked a different animal so I didn't copy robin d's towel pig idea. But he just spoke to me because I have had a thing about pigs my whole life and collect them. I don't have them all out, don't like the clutter. But a few of my favorite ones grace bookshelves and mantles and tv consoles throughout the house. Towel pig just fit in so perfectly! But if I found a Towel Robin, I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat!
    ...See More

What do you do that is specific in your own family?

Q

Comments (23)
    Yeah, this isn't a mushy one but I always smile when I say it. Whenever we were leaving somewhere, my mom would say "have you got 'em all?" mostly meaning did you leave anything behind but also meaning do you have all your marbles? We used to get a lot of laughs out of that. Of course when I say it to my friends now, they just think I have lost my marbles. Still makes me smile..
    ...See More
  • blfenton
    10 years ago

I don't own capris or sweat pants or flip-flops.

I do own running gear because I run but I only wear my running gear running. I don't wear it to go grocery shopping or for coffee.
    Maybe because I wear running shoes for running I don;t wear running shoes to go out and about. I wear real shoes. (I know some people have feet issues and runners are often the most comfortable shoe for them)

• User
    10 years ago

No skirts, cardigans, scarfs, hats, dress pants, blouses, no heels or dress shoes no jewelry except wedding rings . I live in jeans, and t-shirts, and yes I wear capris and shorts anywhere in the world (except certain churches). I would cook otherwise.

• User
    10 years ago

I don't have any heels anymore due to my feet...see the bunions thread:) I do have some great Sketchers wedges:)

I have lovely silk evening outfilts..no place to wear them..have had them for decades. No boots..see above bunions. Lots of running shoes and Teva and Keen . Lots of hoodies and windbreakers and waterproof and windproof...a must for my biking and running. Lots of capris and zip off leg pants...2 new pair of cotton shorts.One new cute white short skirt from Target ! Lots of stretchy cami tops from TJMaxx..I don't wear bras.

Lots and lots of every kind of tights and weather proof clothing and wind proof clothing known to man..I could outfit a whole lot of folks ...it they were short and small :)

Enough black yoga tight mid-calf thingies from DD who got tired of them to last till I pass on . I love them...who knew...I had no idea
    how comfy they are...sleep and schlep...I wear them all the time.

If it weren't for black and steel gray and white I would have no clothes ! Since my hair has "turned" I am in love with these 3 colors..nothing else. c

What I don't own would take way too long to write ...fun topic ! c

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

White pants.
    Short shorts.
    Thong underwear.
    Heels higher than 3".
    Trench coats.
    Fur coats.

There's plenty more but that's a start.

And I only wear sneakers for exercising. And I never wear flats, but I also don't wear super high heels. My go-to shoes are almost always clogs or sandals with chunky 2" heels.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I buy capris, but they don't stay that way...they get shortened to the knee. I also don't have cargo pants. Haven't had a 2 piece bathing suit or anything else with a bare midriff since I was 14.

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

Turtle necks
    Men's T shirts
    White pants
    Coats with belts (they hit me in the wrong place)
    One piece bathing suits
    Until a few years ago I never had boots - now I have about 5 pair :)

• allison0704
    10 years ago

My closet is missing the following: ballgowns, caftans, shorts, skirts, capris, sweat pants, sweat shirts, jogging suits, exercise clothes, real heels, Polos, thongs, dress scarves, trench coat, fur coat, windbreaker, flip-flops, bathing suit or blouses.

I have a simple wardrobe. I wear brown, blue and black jeans in the winter. Sweaters, long or short sleeve shirts with jackets or long cardigans.

White or blue jeans or khaki pants in the summer. Short sleeve shirts, t-shirts or 3/4 sleeve shirts that flow a bit... but not over-sized.

I have a few black dress pants.

Most of my clothes are from Territory Ahead and Lauren Ralph Lauren.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The trench coat thing does surprise me, I love them and think they are flattering on many different types of figures. They come in all sorts of colors, not just boring beige.

• User
    10 years ago

-skinny jeans
    -light jeans
    -khakis
    -shorts other than athletic wear
    -'girlie' athletic wear
    -capris
    -heels over 2"
    -big puffy vest or coat
    -anything sequin/bedazzled
    -anything neon
    -tie dye
    -fish nets
    I guess you could really branch off into listing different styles, but I'll stop with fish nets.

• vickij
    10 years ago

Shorts
    khakis
    white shoes

• kitchenwitch
    10 years ago

I don't own a blazer or anything resembling a suit.

• ms-thrifty
    10 years ago

pencil skirt, anything sleeveless, heels higher than 2 1/2 inches, nothing shorter than knee length, bracelets of any kind, and leggings are things I don't wear.
    Things I love are jeans of almost all kinds, capris of all lengths, my flip flops, denim jackets (have two and love them), shetchers running shoes, my new Dr. Scholes sneekers, 3/4 sleeve and elbow t's, and low heel boots--OH, forgot my chambray shirt..

Things I have that I wear sometimes that I don't like are long back short front blouse, wedge sandals, a print jacket from clodwater creek. These will probably go to goodwill soon.

• golddust
    10 years ago

Heels over three inches. Polyester anything except my black dress, that I love. No Penney loafers or anything close. Gave my slacks to the thrift store. Love my denim jacket. I use it to dress down my dresses. Never wear it with jeans.

I have boots of almost every kind from pointy toed with small kitten heels to flat boots that hug my legs. I Even have logger boots. They are handmade, heavy and high enough to wear with my longer jeans that are cute as a button. Of course my hippie boot collection includes a Morrocan pair and my old campus Frye's from the seventies. Lol.

I can't wear knee high boots as I'm not tall enough to pull them off. They come up too high on my knees and I don't have a whip or the rest of the outfit that would have to go with them. Bumble, I bet I would win hands down in the boot count.

I don't have any classic type clothes. I am a sucker for $100. Johnny Was type silk tops. Wear them over skinny jeans and boots or sandals.

My heels must be plain but my sandals have ankle straps. I wear flip flops with arch support as slippers in the summer. Must have arch supports these days.

I don't have a trench coat but have a Military style Ralph Lauren knee length jacket. If I need a dressier coat, I borrow Aimee's.

I own one button down blouse and it's designed for keeping sun off my arms at the lake. I have tried to like classic button down blouses but they are not me and the buttons always seem to gap at my breast or are too big everywhere else. Also they are confining!

I like leggings under dresses in the winter because I'm picky about the kind of socks I wear with boots.

I have a pair of capris. No sweat pants. One pair of yoga pants (love them).
    No suits here either.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

With golddust's remark about button down shirts reminded me that I don't own anything that requires ironing.

Should my tee's and shorts require ironing? probably but I smooth them out and put them away very, very neatly.

I like the fact that you all seem to dress very basically just as I do. I identify with you all and I would like to have coffee with you.

(edited to add comment.)

This post was edited by blfenton on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 13:46

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

No high heels. I really cannot walk in them.

I've never been into designer handbags.

I generally avoid pants that are dry clean only.

• tinam61
    10 years ago

Sueb must be my twin. LOL Except I do wear white pants.I love clogs and sandals and a chunky heel - but I also wear flip-flops.Love black pants and have oodles of them - wear them with my bright colors.

No's for me:

skinny jeans
    sweats
    colored jeans
    trench coats, puffy coats or many coats at all*
    thongs
    button downs
    anything busniness/tailored looking
    no men's clothing
    no polos
    no caftans/mumus or "housedresses"
    I like trendy and have alot of basic tops and bottoms that I jazz up with jackets - fun, unique jackets - no blaziers and funky necklaces. I also love scarves.

*Coats - I HATE wearing a coat and we don't get that much of a winter season. Same with boots - I do own a few pair and I like boots but they burn me up. It has to be really cold for me to wear them so mine do not get alot of wear.

tina

• terezosa / terriks
    10 years ago

No collared shirts/blouses for me either.
    I like how they look on others, but not me

• texanjana
    10 years ago

Love this thread!

High heels (foot and ankle issues)
    Bikini
    Coat
    Thong undies
    Sweat pants
    Uggs
    Housedress
    Bed Jacket
    Business Suit
    Holiday Sweater
    Sequined Apparel of Any Kind
    Daisy Dukes
    Vest

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

With the exception of a few extreme items- mainly the revealing ones-, I can easily shop in the lists posted. Bring on the skirts, dresses, sequins, beading, skinnies, capris, and I really enjoy the bed jacket in winter while reading.
    I have a coat addiction- it's subconscious longing for colder weather. Puffers, corduroy, trench, barn jackets, vests, dusters, jean jackets, blazers, velvet, tweed, fleece, wool.....

• User
    10 years ago

My highest heel is 1" but I seldom wear heels --- prefer flats. Nothing higher than one inch, though.

I have jeans -----not dark jeans or colored jeans, just the standard blues.----but haven't worn them in years, I think they're too heavy. In winter, I prefer corduroy.

No tie dye, no floral. No fur or fake fur. Like all lengths of trousers, the shoes are what make the length look right. Not many skirts. Like most colors. Have lots of black and gray, addicted to Hermes scarves, new and vintage, and LOVE pearls!

It's hard to list what I don't like without throwing In what I do like :-)

• User
    10 years ago

Some of the items I listed just don't work on me. To name a few, puffy coats just add weight to my frame and skinny jeans look ridiculous on me.

Like Tina, I'm not into wearing a coat unless it's really cold. They're bulky in the vehicle and hot in the stores.

I also don't own any fur or caftans.

Black and darker colors are a staple in my closet. I have to make a conscious decision to select lighter or brighter colors. I do like my sweat pants but don't live in them. I think they can be .......ahh, I'm not sure what adjective to use! I think they can look fine. Like anything else I think there's a better way to wear them. Mine all have something on or down the leg. I have a ridiculous amount of hoodies but pick one of my three favs when I do bust them out.

• runninginplace
    10 years ago

My list includes no:

Coat - haven't missed it in Miami

Jeans - am I the only woman in the world who finds jeans constricting and unpleasant; in 55+ years of living I have yet to find a single pair that were ever comfortable for me to wear

Full length formal wear - see item 1, the most dressed up most folks get is what is called down here 'tropical chic'

Clothing in the colors red, green or yellow

Strapless anything

Maxi dresses - for some reason not only do these things look sooo ugly to me because it's just way too much billowy fabric but the name always brings to mind a truly unfortunate link to a feminine hygiene product

High heels - best avoided by someone whose husband occasionally warns her 'watch out, flat floor!'