SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gracy101

Trouble finding 3/4 x 1 1/2" Red oak flooring

gracy101
10 years ago

As part of an addition to my 1940s home in South Florida, I need approx. 800 sq ft of unfinished 3/4" x 1 1/2" solid red oak SELECT quality T&G to sand and finish on site. The existing house has beautiful floors I would like to continue. The problem is no one seems to have it. I can get the 1 1/2" in #1 or Common but not Select. Or I can get Select starting at 2 1/4" width. I am trying to avoid special milling delays and the expense as the prices are double for the 1 1/2" Select and 8-10 weeks to mill. Yikes!!!

Three very reputable contractors have told me not too worry, the #1 flooring is 90% clear and if we order extra they can pick and choose and use the darker pieces in little used areas such as closets or along walls where cabinetry will be built in order to keep it in the margins. They tell me it will be fine but I wonder. There's a reason some wood is select and some is #1 or Common. Are they just trying to sell me?

I can't afford the $$$ of the special order so I will have to go with the 2 1/4" Select if their advice is not good. I really wanted to keep the flow of the original floors throughout the house as seamless as possible but the reality of my budget is unavoidable.

What would you all do? The wider select and or the narrower in #1 quality?

Help please.

Comments (6)