SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

How much extra engineered wood should I order?

susanlynn2012
14 years ago

I ordered on Friday after 5:00 PM (via the telephone) BR-111 Triangulo Engineered Brazilian Cherry Floor in the 5" wide widths. I am going to float the floor using a professional installer. I was told the order will not go out until Monday so I can call Monday morning if I have any changes to make.

An installer calls me today that wants the job and says I should have ordered 21 boxes of the BR-111 floor and not 20 boxes since I have no closets that I am putting the wood in and there are cuts besides waste. But I have so many filing cabinets we can put the shorter boards under if I we have to so I do not understand why I need over 13% extra.

Various installers and me all seem to get 573 square feet or 567 sq. feet depending on fractions rounded. I thought 20 Boxes X 31.02 sq. feet per box would be enough since 7% on a rounded 575 sq. feet comes to 615 and 20 Boxes X 31.02 sq. feet comes to 620.40 sq. feet while 21 boxes comes to 651.42 sq. feet which is 13.29% extra.

How much extra should I order?

Truehardwoods.com where I bought my flooring from had told me 7% extra for waste but some installers are telling me at least 10%.

Also the installer that called me back told me to order 4 reducers and 1 T-molding. I ordered 3 reducers since I need 18 feet and 88" X 3 I thought was more than enough since it is 22 feet long but one of my floor separations is 7 feet 4 inches long and I will have to use part of another reducer.

None of my floors are the same level (tile in foyers that are 3/8th thick, Linoleum in kitchen, and flat commercial type of builder grade tile in closet while the wood is 1/2" thick and being floated on a pad) so I do not understand why I would need a T-Molding? Also if they feel I need a T-Molding for the tile areas, then I need two or we will be short

Hence, do I need three reducers at 88" long or 4 reducers. Should I order a T-molding just in case that I do not see why I need it. Or maybe I need 2 T-Moldings if I use it for the tile since both areas add up to almost the 88" long.

I have narrowed it down to two installers but one of the two feels I have more than enough wood and the other feels I should order more.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm