SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joygreenwald

Anyone used Coretec?

joygreenwald
9 years ago

I have searched and searched, but I haven't seen any threads talking about Coretec--tons of other LVP info but nothing about Coretec. We are looking for something interlocking in a blue/ gray plank. The aren't many, or almost any, other options. These look promising, but I'd love some real unbiased information. One of the only other options I can find its a Karndean plank, but it's glue down.

Anyone? Thanks!

Comments (3.8K)

• M R
    3 years ago

@Bethany thank you so much! Any advantage running them under the cabinets like that? Or is it generally considered fine to not do it? My contractor is not familiar with this particular brand but said he typically runs floating floors under cabinets.

• M R
    3 years ago

Ok another question! I just now saw these install directions you spoke of. I don’t know how I missed that before!

- it talks about an expansion gap around the perimeter. We would fall under the 1/4 inch. How do you reconcile this at an area of transition? For example, we have a hallway of CORETec that will transition to a brick tile. Do we have to use a threshold piece in that case? I’ve discussed with my contractor building up the subfloor to make the lvp even with the 1/2” brick tile...and ideally eliminate the need for a threshold, but in considering the 1/4” perimeter requirement....is there any way around a threshold piece?

All questions I will ask my contractor as well but like I said, he’s not extremely familiar with this particular brand.

• Related Discussions

Coretec flooring

Q

Comments (13)
    Laurie, Yes there is "texturing" or faux distressing in our floor. Doesn't bother me, we wanted a less formal look anyway. I must say, you don't notice the distressing at all when you stand in the room or look at the floor. No one has noticed it yet, but since I clean it ;) I know it's there. They do a great job with the variegation of pattern. You have to be on your knees looking at the floor to notice it in my opinion. We have gotten many comment on how beautiful it is however. Best of luck with your project!
    ...See More

Real-World Photos of Coretec Plus Antique Marble Tile

Q

Comments (6)
    Thank you so much for posting this!!! I am planning on putting in CoreTec Antique Marble in my Kitchen and bathrooms and it is hard to decide with a tiny photo of the tile on the website. I ordered a sample but your absolutely beautiful floors have convinced me that is the floor for me! Thank you, especially for the follow up that two years later you are still happy!
    ...See More

has anyone installed CoreTec St. Andrews Oak?

Q

Comments (4)
    I got samples of Coretec from an online distributor (Best Laminate). Granted these are small samples (maybe five-six inches of a plank) but at least I can see if the tone of the product is what I want. To my mind, St. Andrews Oak has a slight yellow tint to it (like a golden-brown oak). If you haven't already, you might want to order some samples and use those to narrow down your choices. Good luck. Also check out the massive "anyone used Coretec" discussion that has over 3000 comments, it will take a while to download but I'm 90% certain someone posted St. Andrews pix there.
    ...See More

Anyone used COREtec Mesa Verde oak or King Canyon Oak?

Q

Comments (0)
    I’m getting natural maple kitchen cabinets and these two caught my eye but trying to decide which one I like or should I just go with a warm brown???
    ...See More
  • Bethany
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

MR, I have transitions between my Coretec and tile, but it was done in 2014 and lots has changed since then.

When the product first came out, they said that Coretec would NOT expand, but they later changed their guidance to say that you needed to have an expansion gap because other things in the room would expand. This was after many people had some significant buckling problems after installing with no transition/expansion gap. (you can have those same buckling problems by putting cabinets on top of floating floors that aren’t glued down)

If it were me, I would do a transition just to be safe. But if you have expansion gaps all around the rest of the hallway, maybe it’s not needed there? I would check with Coretec to be sure.

• Jennifer Muntean
    3 years ago

Has anyone glued down CoreTec in their WHOLE house? We planned on doing this, and one installer told us they do this all the time, and another said he’s never heard of anyone doing this and doesn’t think the product is suited for it ... but the planks we are choosing say the installation can be floating or glue-down. Thanks to anyone who can give me any insight!

• katmomof5
    3 years ago

We have 1800sq of xl Coretec all glued down. I have six kids so that’s 8 people on these floors. It’s been 3 years and have had zero problems. I had it installed floating the first time, it was horrible and ruined the planks. We had a second crew come and redo everything and they glued it down.

• Jennifer Muntean
    3 years ago

Thank you so much, @katmomof5!!

• jenwinston73
    3 years ago

Which Coretec are you looking at? We have Calypso Oak and I don’t think you are supposed to glue it down. I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that it is a floating floor. I would imagine if it’s installed properly, floating should be fine. Otherwise, they would not sell it if people were experiencing issues. That’s my thought. We’ve installed floating but haven’t lived with it yet (furniture is not in yet, etc). I hope we don’t have issues.

• Jennifer Muntean
    3 years ago

We are looking at the Coretech Plus Palo Alto Walnut.

• jenwinston73
    3 years ago

Ok. I just looked online and I found that it is good to glue down in certain circumstances. That’s good to know. We will have a room that will get lots of sunlight and therefore the temp will likely get hot sometimes in there. I might need to look into this option when we do that room in the near future. We have the materials but the room is not built yet.

• katmomof5
    3 years ago

@Jennifer Muntean we have the wide extra long planks. I posted about my experience on here with pictures. I can tell you that the glue was a special kind that will contract and expand with the temperature changes.

• Libby Lafferty
    3 years ago

Just wanted to update. Our floors are in as of today. The installer had lots of experience with flooring and he did not recommend gluing any of it down (even under our very full and heavy Ikea closets). After all the research I really made myself worry a ton. LOL. It's down and beautiful! Oh and quiet too! It is definitely harder on the feet. It is also very matte so I foresee having to clean them more often. Time will tell how they hold up but I'm hopeful that they do fine. Thanks you all for all of your help and advice!

• Elisa Paniccia
    3 years ago

I had them installed whole house in 2019. They are holding up well

• M R
    3 years ago

Thanks very much. What is the consensus about running it under appliances- fridge, dishwasher etc?

• Leah Wolosiansky
    3 years ago

Has anyone used the Palo Alto Walnut and Be willing to share photos? We’re considering it, but would love to see some non-stock photos!

• Nancy
    3 years ago

MR, you are fine to run them under refrigerator and dishwasher, range, etc. Only exception might be a really big built in refrigerator/freezer (like in a custom upscale chefs kitchen).

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

Ours were not installed properly and lasted less than 6 months instead of 30 years. Apparently, a very smooth subfloor is needed, perfectly levelled, no transitions, and no closet doors drilled into the floors. Otherwise, these floors fall apart if they are floating floors. Leaving the right amount of space is also necessary. All of these facts we learned from this site.

I am beyond disappointed with the contractor who installed the floors, the retailer who recommended them to the contractor, and with the product itself, which is so flimsy. We did not realize, when we were shown the product, that the thickness is not the same as the sample because the sample plank has a wood backing.

• Bethany
    3 years ago

HU, I had my Cortec XL floors installed in Oct. 2014 and 6 years later, I couldn’t be happier. The reason for that happiness is because I took responsibility for my own selectIon and installation.

That meant that I (a middle aged single woman who works 50+ hours a week) did the following:

- Researched the flooring (and the different versions of Cortec) and made sure it would meet my needs

- Talked to several different flooring companies, and learned a ton in the process

- Requested actual samples of the flooring so that I could see how the locking mechanism worked, and how the color looked in my home (no display board shortcut for me)

- Read the installation guidelines in full before they came to install my flooring

- Called the Coretec company to ask some installation questions that I wasn’t clear on.

- Challenged my flooring installer regarding prepping the concrete slab which needed grinding, leveling, and a vapor barrier laid. Plus additional upstairs subfloor prep with screws and leveling compound. He hadn’t read the instructions which clearly mentioned all of that, but I had thank goodness.

- Monitored the installation closely and made certain that all planks were locked, etc.

- Lived happily ever after.

I am really sorry that you aren’t pleased with the flooring and install, but unfortunately we buyers have to be much more involved than we would like these days. Not everyone has to put in as much effort as me, but everyone should be at least understanding what they are buying, and what installation specifics are required. I hope you can work something out with the company that sold and installed your flooring.

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

We read a lot of articles about flooring, hired a contractor who was certified and had done work at a friend's home, and who had excellent references. We were told the floors would be durable, and they are not. We could not be there all the time watching the installation taken place because we work outside the home, but trusted the expertise of the contractor.
    And this is the result 6 months later. Worse in other areas.

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

When we had the house roofing replaced, we were not expected to learn the installation methods required and supervise the work. The roof lasted years. Same when we recently had a kitchen pipe fixed. We let those who have been trained do the job. That is why we hire qualified professionals, but it seems that with flooring, this is different.

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

Much respect Bethany.It is amazing all you did. Great idea about having the real plank samples brought to your house. Thank you for sharing.

• anirbn
    3 years ago

I have a quick question. If the floor survives one full cycle of season, i.e. winter to winter and no apparent problems show up, is it time to heave a sigh of relief ? Or perhaps not ...... ?

• Bethany
    3 years ago

HU, that kitchen pic looks like the planks have unlocked. Did an independent flooring person doing an inspection and determine that the installation was the issue? If it is, then you should have recourse against the installer.

• pmoskie
    3 years ago

About to have Aurora Oak plus enhanced put down on my 1st floor on top of burgundy tile that is in excellent condition. The tile is on top of a concrete slab (not sure if there is a subfloor). The summers are humid where we live but there is no moisture issue as far as I am aware. Has anyone installed the CoreTec floating LVT over ceramic tile? I like the look of the Mannington Adura Max stone better than the Coretec stone so that will be going on top of ceramic tile in the bathroom. Does anyone see any big red flags with this? we are having it professionally installed by a local flooring dealer that has had a lot of experience with Coretec and Mannington

LVT and has a specific installer that only does locking floors and a different one that does glue down floors. Has anyone used the Mannington Adura Max products in a bathroom?

• Elisa Paniccia
    3 years ago

I used Cortec over ceramic tile on my first floor including in a small bathroom without issues The installation was floating (not glued down). Also I live in south Florida where it is very humid. Its been almost 2 years and still in great condition.

• pds290
    3 years ago

I have a bathroom project coming up and was considering Cortec. If it should be glued down under a cabinet, where the weight is relatively dispersed, I assume that’s even more important under a claw foot tub, where a great deal of weight comes down on 4 points! Should I glue down, or should I avoid Coretec?

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

Hi Bethany, yes, we hired an inspector. The floors are damaged throughout the apartment. The inspector said the installation was not done correctly, but the installer is blaming us for the issues. It will cost us 10K to replace the floors, 1,300 to move and store furniture and unless we can stay with friends for 10 days or so, we will need a hotel. The manufacturer also hired an inspector too.

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

I will never use these types of floors again. Especially not floating. They are very poor quality.

• Bethany
    3 years ago

HU, so did the 2nd inspector side with the manufacturer? I’m sorry you and your family are having to go through that. Btw, when I had all my floors replaced, I did not move out. We just shifted furniture from one room to the next as sections were complete. I did sleep on a blow up mattress one night though.

• Toya Ralston
    3 years ago

I hired an inspector too that concluded that my floors weren’t installed correctly as well. As a result my flooring company ended up refunding me. Outside of the flooring not being installed according to Coretecs manufacture recommendations Coretec is still a TERRIBLE product and I will NEVER use it again! I wish you all luck with your flooring journey.

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

The manufacturer's inspector said the installation was not done correctly. Unfortunately, he also mentioned a mobility pole that we need to have for my father who is disabled, so the flooring installer now says the floors broke because of the pole, which is in the living room. This type of pole is sold to thousands of seniors, and LVP Coretect floors were supposed to be a very good option for seniors, according to several articles I had read.

I wrote the pole manufacturer, who said they never had any issues with the poles being installed on floating floors, and I can confirm that is true because I cannot find any complaints from others saying their floors broke because of the mobility pole. There is also no damage near the pole. Our bathroom, kitchen, hallway, and den don't have a pole installed, and yet the planks are broken or lifting.

Both inspectors said the installation needed to have transitions and, in some areas, more spacing. The installer also drilled some doors into the planks. The manufacturer's inspector said the installer needed to even out the subfloor. The installer said our building did not allow this, but we checked with the manager and that is not true.

Back in July, the Coretec manufactorer presentative had promised us about 200 square feet of planks and a free repair. This would at least fix some areas of the apartment. However, the installer and flooring retailer are ignoring this.

Recently, I spoke with the Coretec rep, and he said there is nothing else he can do. The retailer and instaler wont help. So we are out of luck and out of more than 10K.

And my parents who live in the unit have unsafe floors held together with tape.

• Bethany
    3 years ago

HU that sounds horrible. I do remember that my contractor was not planning on leveling either my 1st floor slab nor my 2nd floor subfloor, and I had to watch him like a hawk. That was 6 years ago and these type floors were fairly new, thus my focus on making sure that they were installed correctly.

Since then, there have been many different grades of Coretec developed....different locking mechanisms, different wear layers, different backing, etc. Unfortunately one has to really do a ton of research to figure out what you are actually buying. That said, I still plan on putting down LVP when I move in the future, but I will be revisiting all the brands offered at that time and see who has the best of the best.

• Chessie
    3 years ago

All these issues make me glad I went with a glue-down product. I have had zero issues.

• Bethany
    3 years ago

Chessie, Coretec can be glued down as well if desired. In fact, if I bought it again I would probably do that.

• HU-350381242
    3 years ago

A lot contractors and installers do not tell people that glue down LVP is the only way these floors will be strong, especially if people end up needing assistive devices, walkers or wheelchairs.

Engineered hardwood floating floors can handle these, according to a resident in our building who uses a wheelchair. But floating LVP from Coretec cannot, so that is a major consideration.

Unfortunately, the manufacturer's literature is not 100 clear. That's why I asked them to make changes to the information they provide consumers, retailers and contractors so that others do not end up losing tens of thousands of dollars.

• Kathy
    3 years ago

pmoskie: We had installed Adura Max vinyl plank in Meridian Porcelain in a bathroom in Spring 2019, a house next door we own and rent to our daughter. I'm not there everyday. But every time I'm there, I don't see anything, nor does she mention, any problems with the floor. We both love the look. It was installed over an old floor that I'm guessing is linoleum tiles. I was not there when it was installed, but I don't recall the installer putting any type of leveler on the linoleum before he installed it, although to me it looked very level. He did not use any glue. It was not installed under the existing floor cabinet, which we kept, but painted a different color.

When we were shopping for that floor, my contractor, suggested a few different brands, one which was Mannington. We choose the Adura Max because we really liked the look out of all the other brands we had looked at.

We're currently shopping for flooring for our kitchen and adjacent living room, and are taking a serious look at Coretec Arora Oak.

• pmoskie
    3 years ago

Thank you Kathy! Good to know about the Adura Max. I ended up going with Coretec stone vinyl plank for the bathroom so we'll see. Install is not until end of Jan so can't comment on how the Aurora oak looks yet!

• Catherine
    3 years ago

I am interested in Aurora oak too, want to see a picture how it looks like. Please share a picture after installation.

• E N
    3 years ago

@annieo80 Do you remember the color you went with? It looks exactly like what I'm going for

• Meryl Burke
    3 years ago

I chose Coretec Canterbury Elm and love it. I re-did 100% of all floors in my house. It is wide thick planking and SPC with cork underlayment. Quiet comfortable on feet. 20 ML wear layer and my flooring contractor said it is some of the nicest product he's worked with. No transitions at all. Beautiful natural looking and sturdy and durable.

Canterbury ElmCanterbury Elm From Coretec: Featuring enhanced painted bevels and Embossed In Register (EIR) technology, this collection of extra-long planks provides the most realistic wood look and feel available. The stunning style is combined with a rigid core construction that easily withstands high-traffic residential or even commercial use. I am so happy with the look and style. Here's a pict of my reading nook.

• cbreeze
    3 years ago

Looks beautiful.

• pmoskie
    3 years ago

Catherine, my flooring project got delayed as the Aurora Oak was backordered and coming 2 weeks late. I'll have pics end of Feb! Getting impatient lol!

• C C
    3 years ago

Check all the pieces from Coretec before installation! We had a Palo Alto Walnut Coretec floor installed in August. As they were getting ready to install the T-moulding I realized the color was off. Also it was supposed to be skimmed in the same pattern as the planking but wasn't. They didn't install it. The quarter round was also off but similar enough in color that we agreed to keep it.

FIVE MONTHS later Coretec informed the installer that Palo Alto Walnut is discontinued and we won't be getting the T-moulding. Back to square one. I am so frustrated.

My guess is that they are outsourcing the trim pieces without telling anyone. Someone mentioned that Shaw bought Coretec.

• Jennifer Muntean
    3 years ago

I am having Palo Alto installed in a few weeks, thanks for the heads up! Will ask the installer to check the trim pieces. Fingers crossed!

• C C
    3 years ago

I would verify that your installer has the flooring now. Or have them verify with Coretec that they intend to ship it. Coretec spent 5 months telling my installer that they were going to send the trim. We found out this week the color is discontinued.

• Jennifer Muntean
    3 years ago

Thanks! We definitely have the floor (I've seen it at the local warehouse), but will take a look at the trim that came with it and go from there ...

• tlkelley70
    3 years ago

Who are people buying from now? Having trouble finding coretec plus kingswood oak locally.

• Bethany
    3 years ago

Hands down my favorite Coretec seller has been @Nice Floors via nicefloors.com. I have no idea if they are able to ship Coretec currently, but my purchasing experience was so great that they will ALWAYS be my first call when I need new flooring. I would also trust them to recommend an alternative brand to meet my needs. Chris and Ashley were who I worked with when redoing my floors.

• venkata N
    2 years ago

Hello, Every one, I'm planning to install Tulsa Oak. Can anyone please share the feedback.

• Nancy
    2 years ago

Venkata you might want to start a new discussion. The last comment on this thread was last year and I don't know that you'll get a lot of feedback.

• HU-839728755
    last year

Anyone with Dakota Walnut?