SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Neighbor hit our fence....

User
13 years ago

We're 99% sure anyhow. A year and a halfish ago we (DH and his friend) installed a privacy fence. Today DH calls me and says the third panel from the end is busted. We have a neighbor behind us that drives a semi-trailer truck and parks x amount of feet in front of where it's hit. No neighbors beside us. He comes and goes at odd hours so I'm assuming this happenend while we were sleeping last night and of course he wasn't going to come knocking on the door.

Quick background, he's in his 40s. We wave when we see each other out. We'll occasionally stand at the property lines and chat but we don't really know him.

It's a wood composite fence from Lowes. Fences are meant to lock together and I can't see how you'd be able to just replace that one panel. Of course the posts are set in concrete in the ground. The posts will probably need replaced but I'm sure we can use the two end panels.

How do we handle this? I really don't care how it gets paid for. He'll probably want to do it out of pocket. We're thinking the easiest thing would be for Lowes to take care of it but I don't even want the bill in our name.

DH was headed over to see his friend that (mainly - DH helped him) install the fence to see what he thought.

I'm sure in the next day or two we'll be seeing the neighbor. I really don't think it will be a problem with him paying. I do want it fixed right. We shouldn't be able to look at the fence and wonder what happened there, you know?

We also need to keep this as friendly as possible since we have to live near him.

I did take photos.

Comments (14)